Problem with Circupool RJ30 and solar heat.

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Installed a brand new RJ30+ last week and started having problems immediately. When the solar kicks on after the SWG has gone through it's initial diagnostics it throws the low salt and cell maint lights and shuts down. This is happening because the air that is being pushed out of the solar panels is going through the piping and creates bubbles in the system. The SWG is reading about 3800ppm of salt when the solar first starts but then eventually drops to zero when the bubbles go through the cell and trips the low salt and cell maint light, then shuts down. It still has plenty of flow because it's not tripping the low flow light. If the solar kicks on at the same time as the pump and SWG come on, the SWG is still going through it's initial diagnostics and it deals with the air in the system just fine. Water balance is all within TFP specs and salt testing confirms the 3800ppm reading on the SWG is approximately correct. Talked to circupool tech and they said the only way to cure this is to plumb the SWG cell right after the filter and BEFORE the solar piping, which is contrary to their installation instructions and contrary to what everyone told me here. I redid the return piping to make sure the SWG was installed as the last thing before returning to the pool. If I follow circupools suggestion, I will have to re-pipe the entire return side piping including solar piping, jandy valve, check valve, shut off valves,etc, which will be a lot of work and expense. So my two questions are; do you think circupools suggestion will work, and do you have any other suggestions? I have an idea for a work around but it only partially solves the problem and would like to see your suggestions first. With the exception of this problem, the system works fantastic. Please help.

Post some pics of your equipment pad and plumbing so we can give your situation more thought. This is where some picture are worth 1000 words.

@mas985 thoughts?

Post some pics of your equipment pad and plumbing so we can give your situation more thought. This is where some picture are worth 1000 words.

@mas985 thoughts?

Sorry for the large size, didn't know how to resize the pics. The two pipes with the faded blue shut off valves are the pipes feeding the solar panels. The one that's tee'd off the check valve that's coming out of the filter is the inlet for solar. Circupool wants me to put the cell right after the filter, about where the check valve is now which as you can see would require re-piping the entire return side.
IMG_2921.JPGIMG_2922.JPG

Putting the cell after the filter may be the only way to fix that. With all in one systems, the SWG is shut off when solar is turned on for a few minutes while solar primes to avoid this problem.

Another option may be to adjust the solar valve such that not all the flow goes to the panels. It is very rare that you would need all the flow rate going to the panels anyway. What is the size of the panels?

Putting the cell after the filter may be the only way to fix that. With all in one systems, the SWG is shut off when solar is turned on for a few minutes while solar primes to avoid this problem.

Another option may be to adjust the solar valve such that not all the flow goes to the panels. It is very rare that you would need all the flow rate going to the panels anyway. What is the size of the panels?

The panels are 4x12 and there are 7 of them. Adjusting the flow to the panels is worth a try. How would I adjust the solar valve to limit the flow to the panels?

d,

I have the same swg and very similar setup. Discharge of the pump to the filter then to solar (or through solar bypass) then to gas heater then to the swg and then return to pool. I've watched the air bubbles when the solar bypass closes. Usually it's not bad enough to shut down the swg but sometimes it does. Once flow lines out the swg comes back on. Does yours stay off? I'll double check tomorrow but I think mine always comes back on.

Chris

The panels are 4x12 and there are 7 of them. Adjusting the flow to the panels is worth a try. How would I adjust the solar valve to limit the flow to the panels?
You have 336 sq-ft of panels which require only about 34 GPM and with your pump on solar, it is likely producing close to twice that amount. You can set the actuator cam such that the solar valve does not close all the way. You want to pick a valve position where the filter pressure is the midpoint between solar PSI and non-solar PSI.

There are several YouTube videos that describe how to adjust the cam: Cam Adjustment Videos

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine doesn't come back on. Your's must be tripping the low flow switch and when the flow goes back to normal, it comes back on.
Is your flow switch upstream of the salt cell? If not, maybe move it upstream so it will trip on flow first?

I don't know if this will work but you can try installing the cell 180 degrees so the sensors are on the down side thus creating more contact with water.

I know my T-15 cell can be installed in either direction but I've never had this issue with my solar setup and using either Hayward or Jandy cells.

Is there any chance your flow switch is installed backwards or jammed or not working. Just very weird that all those bubbles don't trip it.

I don't know if this will work but you can try installing the cell 180 degrees so the sensors are on the down side thus creating more contact with water.

I know my T-15 cell can be installed in either direction but I've never had this issue with my solar setup and using either Hayward or Jandy cells.

That's a good idea especially because it's mounted vertically but the circupool instructions say to install the cell with the cord side as the inlet which is how I have it. I will call them first and see if there's any harm in reversing it before I try it.

If the switch was installed backwards it wouldn't the cell wouldn't work at all and I'm guessing the rush of air is enough to keep it closed.
Reason I asked is I have the exact same unit. Mine trips till most of the air is gone then restarts. I also have a very similar 19.5 4 X 12 solar installation. Solar bypass opens and closes often all day long base on Intellicenter control. Absolutely none of the shut downs described and almost identical installation.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.