Problem with an Air Leak I can't seem to figure out

LivelyOasis

Bronze Supporter
Hello all, I am in the process of fixing some things on my pool and the Spa side has a stand-pipe with blower, the blower went bad - come to find out the check-valve went bad and siphon'd water into it. new unit on the way. Well prior to it going bad, there was always air blown into the spa when it was turned on before water would flow, I thought it was the air line doing it, well now that the air pipe is capped off waiting on the arrival of the new blower, and full of water. We turned on the spa side with heater and bubble were coming out. I went back to the plumbing and the inlet (side to the pump for clarity) is apparently letting air in somewhere as the pump had visible water in the basket and the filter had high pressure - bled the filter air and more got in. So we basically had an air-blown expierence without the blower..... and air line capped. I tried the normal slow pour of water over the joints and never observed a change.

Im looking for ideas on how to track down this leak - fyi - I did put the filter in bypass and the air still would not bleed from the pump. The pump is a 2hp and can easily clear the lines, so new air is getting in somewhere....

You try what is in here...

Post pics of your equipment area and let us see what you are dealing with.

Equipment area, pipe to the front right of the heater is the air pipe. I did perform as much of the above article as possible, including the pump basker o-ring is new and lubricated. Even though the pump is new as of last november.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_175523.jpg
    IMG_20200523_175523.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200523_175530.jpg
    IMG_20200523_175530.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200523_175539.jpg
    IMG_20200523_175539.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200523_175550.jpg
    IMG_20200523_175550.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 4
Wrap Saran wrap around all the joints on your suction lines.

Wrap Saran wrap around all the joints on your suction lines.

Funny, I thought about buying that stretch wrap tape to try it - saran wrap never came to mind. It stormed all day yesterday so I have not been able to try this. I will try this today and report back.

On my suction side, I have a metal gate valve - vsible in the first picture - pool has 2 skimmers and 1 main drain, spa has two main drains and 4 spa returns, 1 pool mode return. Any clue what that metal gate valve is for? It is broken and will not close, just spins and spins, I am planning to replace it, but want to know what it is to determine if its even needed or just pipe it.

Any clue what that metal gate valve is for? It is broken and will not close, just spins and spins, I am planning to replace it, but want to know what it is to determine if its even needed or just pipe it.

I have no idea what that unmarked pipe feeds.

When you open it up blow air or water into it and see where it comes out. Then decide if it warrants a valve.

Last edited:
I spent the last 2.5 hours wrapping every visible area of suction side --- no go, and I got to tell you, when I got done, the removal was worse than the wrapping. The air still happens only when in spa mode. I think I am going to have to pay a leak locator as much as I don't want to. Anyone have any recommendations around Houston TX?

I pulled the trigger on a Leak Detection company, they were amazing. Turns out I have a leak on the waterfall suction line, which is underground near the Air Blower. They will have to dig it up to fix, but its clear where it is and no Deck/Concrete work to repair atleast. All other pipes and joints are good. They replaced my Jandy Actuator valve o-rings too. So problem will be solved when they can come next week to dig and fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.