Probably a stupid filter question

The next step is to remove the hose that comes out of the filter and heads towards the frog/heater and turn the pump on for a moment. Water should come rushing out. Then you can take that one off, and try the hose coming off of the heater and going back towards the pool return and try that one. By moving along the equipment step by step like that you can narrow down where the blockage is.

Kathy, did you have to reconnect the plumbing to the pump and filter when you opened? Are you sure the hoses are going to the right places? You should have a pipe going from the skimmer into the side of the pump strainer basket housing, then a pipe going from the top of the pump to the filter. Take the hose from the pump to the filter off at the filter end and point it toward the pool and have somebody turn the pump on. You should see a bunch of water if the pump is working.

Also have you removed the winterizing cap (if installed) from the return? If so, and you got water flow above, put that hose back on, and take the hose coming out of the filter off of the pool wall and repeat the test. Make sure the filter is set to filter or recirculate.

ETA: Jason and I are on the same path but from different sides of the filter.

The pool was opened by the PS so I'm assuming everything was put together correctly. Refer to the picture I posted of our set up.

I've taken all the hoses off and check for blockages (except the one from the heater to the frog because it's a pvc pipe.

I just talked to another pool repair guy and he walked me through some things. We don't think it's the pump. When it's on backwash or waste, everything works fine and I can feel suction in the skimmer. But when it's on filter or recirculate, I can not feel any suction.

I got it I got it I got it!!

You aren't going to believe this. There is a plunger type thing at the base of the frog (that black thing) and it was pushed all the way down blocking flow. I pulled it up and bam, it works!!

Kathy3232 said:
I got it I got it I got it!!

You aren't going to believe this. There is a plunger type thing at the base of the frog (that black thing) and it was pushed all the way down blocking flow. I pulled it up and bam, it works!!

This is such good news. :goodjob: That DARN FROG! :mrgreen: :grrrr: :rant: He always comes back to haunt us :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.