Print peeling above water line

What would be an acceptable resolution in your opinion
+1. Or is that +1 ?

Life experience has taught me to be very cynical when dealing with manufacturers. I strongly believe that the overwhelming majority of warranties out there aren’t worth the paper they were printed on.

I do however, ABSOLUTELY hope they do right by you.

Reactions: GSD_fanatic
Even if the manufacturer gives you a new liner, you still have to have it installed.

The company that installed the liner did not do anything wrong.

I don't know that it would be worthwhile to me to go through the stress and cost of having a liner replaced for a relatively minor cosmetic issue.

Maybe get credit towards a new liner in the future and live with the liner you have now.

In any case, it's up to you to decide what you feel is reasonable compensation.

All of the evidence points to a defect in the liner material or workmanship, in my opinion.

Maybe there are some local conditions that are more aggressive than normal causing the problem to accelerate, but it is hard to tell for sure.

What would be an acceptable resolution in your opinion?
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My people will contact you shortly to schedule the deposition of your expert testimony.;) J/K

Maybe there is something in the air, so to speak...but why only in this one corner. I honestly was on board with the reflection after seeing that thread you posted. But now that I saw that close up shot, I'm back to the defect/workmanship being the cause.

At this point the only acceptable solution for me is replace the liner. Not saying I couldn't live with its current state, but there are a few other liner concerns...unrelated to this ~peeling~ concern.

Even if the manufacturer gives you a new liner, you still have to have it installed.

The company that installed the liner did not do anything wrong.

I don't know that it would be worthwhile to me to go through the stress and cost of having a liner replaced for a relatively minor cosmetic issue.

Maybe get credit towards a new liner in the future and live with the liner you have now.

In any case, it's up to you to decide what you feel is reasonable compensation.
I am aware that the manufacturer is not responsible for the labor, water, etc., I saw that in print while reviewing the warranty. However, after contacting the PB who did the new liner, he told me this why he takes out insurance to cover these type of situations. He further explained he has coverage for the duration of that 5yr/full warranty policy from the manufacturer. It would cover his labor to replace the liner, pool water, and all the incidentals for liner replacement. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement...more like shocked!

No, this PB is not on the hook for this peeling thing, but that's not to say he isn't responsible for other unrelated concerns. There were a few things that transpired during the liner replacement, but my better side just took them instride as I didn't want to burn any bridges.

Just to touch briefly, as I don't want to wander too far from the thread topic, nor do I want to get too long winded...here are a 3 other concerns I have with the liner:
1) the day the liner was completed and filling was underway, I noticed the seam for the floor to side wall was not in place. One one side of the pool, in the shallow end, that seam was 2" away from the wall, out on the pool floor. On the opposite side it was out on the floor about and inch and then decreased at an odd angle, towards the deep end. For me the measurements were wrong like the floor section was too narrow. I questioned it and he said wait until its filled...it'll fall into place. When it didn't, he then blamed the manufacturer. No way did his guy measure wrong. I was ok, whatever, as long as I don't have problem with it. I moved on and accepted it, not that I was happy doing so.

2) Midway through the first full season with the new liner, out of the blue, a half dozen vertical wrinkles appeared on the end wall of the deep end. At first they looked hideous, and I just shook my head in disgust. Didn't bother to contact the PB, just accepted another aesthetic screw up that shouldn't have happened. There still there today, but I guess I got used to them as they don't bug me as much anymore.

3) The manufacturer proudly boasts about their "Ultra-Seam" technology. And I quote "No visible seams"
Well, by the 3rd season, you could easily see most of the seams. Might have even started in the 2nd yr, but for sure they were visible in yr 3. As time when on, they appeared even more obvious. But if the pump was running, the ripples in the water would somewhat mask them. Again, whatever...just adds to my disappointment with this liner. This year, I'm not sure if the seam is opening up or what. But If I don't brush or run the robot for a few days, you can see some dirt collect in the seam. You notice the dark line. But when brushed it sweep away. Maybe someone will say algae, but my OCLT always is 1 or less. No matter though, I still don't think the seam should collect anything...not with this "Ultra -Seam" technology. I haven't made any complaints yet, but depending on what happens with liners current situation, I am prepared to express my disappointment with the manufacturer contact that I have now.

There were some other unpleasant dealings with this PB...which I'll skip, but if the liner is determined defective, and his policy covers the replacement, I'm all for it. If it all works out, I'm happy and will forget the whole ordeal. If I only get the liner...his no cost to me replacement doesn't pan out...I'll keep the liner myself and make plans to replace it in the next year or 2 on my dime. My only concern right now with the liner in its current state, is if the lack of print shortens the lifespan. I don't know enough about the specifics, but I would think the print plays a role in protecting the liner from UV. Similar to what an automobiles paint does protecting the sheetmetal.

Well...I honestly tried to not get long winded :p

***edited to add what I forgot:
This peeling deal is the last straw with this liner. Considering we paid 5K for the liner installed, I don't think its unreasonable to expect a better product including installation than what I got. I can't help but wonder what's next at this point...seriously:(:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
I noticed this thread has Featured attached to its title now. Just curious what that is about. I tried the search, but only got a list of Featured discussions. I'm guessing it might be based on the # of views?

I am not sure who decides what threads are Featured.

I suspect that it's whatever they find interesting for some reason.

Maybe it's randomly chosen or maybe there is a committee that meets every Tuesday at noon to decide what threads are featured?

Reactions: GSD_fanatic
Update for those who were following:

I was tempted to post a couple times about what the manufacturer was offering, but didn't want to jinx myself. Initially they offered to pro rate the liner with a cost to me of almost $1K. My reaction was WHAT??? I don't know the actual cost for certain, but pretty sure that is close to full retail price. Their exact words were that since it fell under their "pro rated time period". No flipping way did I agree with that!! Their warranty clearly states for 5 years- full replacement coverage with no pro rate. So I called and was able to speak with the rep who requested all the info from me awhile back. I kept getting the "it's fading and fading is not covered". However after I explained...again...it was not fading, but peeling. At this point, after I asked for her to look carefully at the close up pic I sent, she agreed it did look like peeling.

So now she wanted to send the pic further up the chain for another opinion. This was this past Monday and today I get a call from the PB who did the install of the liner. I'll admit at this point I wasn't too confident I was going to get any satisfaction. Well surprise surprise...they agreed that it was in fact a defect. Something about they had had some problems with that particular color/pattern. Glad I kept my composure while dealing with them. If I had opened my mouth earlier and expressed my true thoughts, not so sure it would have ended up this way. They will send me a new liner, shipping included at no charge. And as long as I replace the liner within the next year or 2, the warranty will start over again form day of installation. Nice!!...well almost.

I had previously mentioned the PB had taken out an insurance policy that would cover the replacement and 3 truck loads of water. I know for a fact he said that to me and I even stated that earlier in this thread. Well...now his story changed. There is no warranty to cover the replacement labor and water. I honestly didn't understand what he was jabbering about this time other than he said something to the effect that it would cover the shipping of the new liner. Excuse me??? The company is shipping it on their dime. Whatever.......

He wants 5K to replace it and that would include water...NOT!! Instead of getting into any argument over what he told me...I did remind him what he previously told me...I told him I'm retired and don't have 5K right now. So for now I'll take the new liner and make plans for next year. And it won't be with him either, not that I told him that.

So in the end, it was worth it for me to refuse their initial response of fading is not covered. Took a little back and forth, but they finally did agree. So I get a new liner, with a new pattern if I choose. But the labor is on me, which I'm fine with at this point. One thing I do want to look into is see if I can get a liner that is made with a blue color instead of white...the PB said they do offer it?? This way if there's any issues with fading or peeling beyond the warranty period, I won't see any white.

Sorry if I got a bit long winded...but at least I'm pleased with the outcome, regardless of having to eat the labor:cheers:

Last edited:
So just a suggestion and feel free to agree/disagree due to the high subjectivity. Go borderless. I think they came around in the 80s to spruce up the windex blue pools and make them prettier like their waterline tiled plaster counterparts. But the border kinda makes them look cheesy as it’s trying too hard. We loved the pattern of the liner and didn’t want to cover it with seashells or Aztec themed designs. We were so fustrated with having to pick a border that we didn’t like, I jokingly asked the PB ‘if I *had* to pick one’. It turns out we didn’t and never looked back.

The added bonus for you would be the uniform material that hopefully would hold up better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just a suggestion and feel free to agree/disagree due to the high subjectivity. Go borderless. I think they came around in the 80s to spruce up the windex blue pools and make them prettier like their waterline tiled plaster counterparts. But the border kinda makes them look cheesy as it’s trying too hard. We loved the pattern of the liner and didn’t want to cover it with seashells or Aztec themed designs. We were so fustrated with having to pick a border that we didn’t like, I jokingly asked the PB ‘if I *had* to pick one’. It turns out we didn’t and never looked back.

The added bonus for you would be the uniform material that hopefully would hold up better.
I was not aware you could get one with out the border. For sure I would absolutely go borderless!! Thanks so much for the suggestion(y)(y)(y)

Since I get a choice of patterns, I'll inquire about it.

Thanks again for that excellent suggestion:cheers:...you must have esp and read my mind:p

Reactions: Newdude
New liner is ordered. Since the liner pattern I currently have is no longer made, I was allowed to pick a new pattern. The one we chose was 27ml floor and 20ml wall. No way do I want 20ml...bet its like saran wrap after a full day on sunlight.:p To get both floor and wall 27ml for that particular pattern, there was a $150 upcharge. If we wanted borderless, there would be another $150 upcharge. Guess one way or another, they'll get a few bucks from me for this liner replaced under warranty:(

We only went with the all 27ml option, passed on going borderless. Glad I'm in no hurry. It may take a month or 2 for the new liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.