Price of chlorine (and Home Depot liquid)

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
So I was without a pool for 2 years and... oh my goodness. PB finished their new build 7-day maintenance; salt system doesn't turn on until 30 days after fill, and I had to make an emergency run to the corner pool store, and I laughed in their face when they rang me up. Then I realized they weren't joking :)

Best pricing for a reasonable brand I could find online, In The Swim brand on Amazon, if I get the 24 1lb bags of 68% cal-hypo, after tax in my 30,000 gallon pool, that's $2.66/ppmFC (that's just how I calculate it). If I go for the 50lb bucket, $2.28/ppmFC. I paid about 40% of that in 2019. But anyway. Just for kicks, went to Home Depot, and found a plentiful supply of 10% liquid sodium hypo for $17.98 before tax. Best I can tell, sodium hypo chlorinates at the same rate at calcium hypo, so my effective rate after tax is $1.91/ppmFC. Am I missing something? Did they not get the memo? Or is sodium hypo more bang for the buck?

I go to HD all the time to purchase their 4 gal box as you described. Remember that Cal-Hypo also adds calcium to your pool so you need to factor that into your pool requirements

Reactions: texasmax
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.