Previous owner left me with a weird lighting/j-box setup?

bxkn

Dec 27, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there,

I'm a new pool owner trying to get things in order, and today's topic is lighting/electrical...

My pool has two lights (shown in the attached photos in magenta and purple). The purple one works, while the magenta one doesn't (not sure why yet). I assume they are both connected to what appears to be an in-deck junction box labeled "Electrical" (shown in orange in attached photos). The lights are controlled by a switch in the pool's electrical box, also shown in one of the photos.

One thing that's been bothering me is that the in-deck junction box is always VERY wet inside (condensation on the underside of the lid, wet dirt/sand, etc.). Of course, my first thought was that I had a leak; but I've come to learn that it's normal for the conduit to be full of water, it *is* mostly full (if I put my finger about 1" in there, I can feel the water level), and I can certainly imagine the water trickling out at times even if I haven't seen it firsthand.

First question:

• Does it seem like a reasonable assumption that the moisture is related to the humidity inside the electrical box and/or water occasionally trickling out of the end of the conduit? Or should I primarily be looking for a leak?

Anyway, from what I've read, I am pretty sure this is not up to code as I don't think the conduit is 4" above the water level. I also dug up some old aerial photos and -- if I'm not mistaken -- it appears that there was once a conventional, above-ground junction box that must have been replaced when pavers were installed around the pool area. Take a look at what I've circled in red and let me know what you think!

So, a few more questions:

• It seems somewhat obvious that I need to be thinking about moving/raising the j-box... Would you agree; or is this kind of set-up more normal than I realize and the moisture maybe isn't that big of a deal?
  • Can you offer any advice to help me identify the conduits and cords inside the j-box?
  • In general, what kind of steps would I need to take to move or raise the j-box? I'm considering hiring a professional, but I'd at least like to know how the work should be done...
Thank you in advance for any knowledge and ideas you have to share!

-Nick

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 34
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 37
  • img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    927.4 KB · Views: 37
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 37
  • img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • img4.jpg
    img4.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 34
  • img5.jpg
    img5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • img6.jpg
    img6.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 34
  • img7.jpg
    img7.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 36
I do not see any wire nuts or splices on the wires in the box you uncovered. If that is so then that box is not the junction box. I think that box is a pass through box that made pulling wires easier. You need to continue looking where the wire connections are.

You may not have a junction box and the wires run independently to the switch location.

I am not saying any of this meets current codes but depending on when the pool was constructed it would be grandfathered to codes in place at that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.