Preventing a swamp while on vacation without running the pump

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
We are getting ready to go on a week-long vacation soon and will not be able to run the pump while we are away because our pool is surrounded by trees, we have no timer, and our pool equipment is old and problematic. I need some advice on what we can do to prevent the pool from turning in to a huge swamp while we are away since we can't run the pump.

It sounds like we have three options:
1. Get the pool up to shock level, turn off the pump and leave. (I assume that putting a floater with chlorine pucks wouldn't help much since the pump wouldn't be running.)
2. Get the pool up to shock level before we leave and ask a friend who lives across town to come over once or twice to add chlorine in front of a return and run the pump for 30 minutes or so to distribute the chemicals. I don't want to ask this friend to remove leaves or do anything else to the pool since he has a bad back. (There could potentially be a lot of leaves in the pool if there is a storm or high winds so I'm wondering if the chlorine additions will do much good.)
3. Put the mesh safety cover on the pool, get the pool up to shock level, turn the pump off, and leave. If it would be better to leave at normal chlorine levels and add polyquat, I could do that instead.

Because the cover is so hard to put on and take off, it would only be worth the effort to put the cover on if it could potentially prevent the pool from turning into a major swamp while we are gone without any chlorine additions and without running the pump. If we will likely come home to a major swamp no matter what we do because of the high temperatures and stagnant water, I think I will take my chances and do option #1 so I don't have to inconvenience my friend while we are away and won't have to mess with the cover. I've got a fiberglass pool so my pool normally clears up in 5 days or less during a SLAM but I've never done one during the heat of the summer before.

So non of those choices are great.

I would get the pool up to SLAM level, and put in a floater (everything helps). And if your friend can come over a couple of times just to turn the pump on and and some LC that would help a lot. Dont worry about the leaves. The key is FC in the pool and anything you can do to keep that as high as you can will help.

You might get lucky, or at least it wont be a swamp and should not take too long to clear.

Reactions: al27
We are getting ready to go on a week-long vacation soon and will not be able to run the pump while we are away because our pool is surrounded by trees, we have no timer, and our pool equipment is old and problematic. I need some advice on what we can do to prevent the pool from turning in to a huge swamp while we are away since we can't run the pump.

It sounds like we have three options:
1. Get the pool up to shock level, turn off the pump and leave. (I assume that putting a floater with chlorine pucks wouldn't help much since the pump wouldn't be running.)
2. Get the pool up to shock level before we leave and ask a friend who lives across town to come over once or twice to add chlorine in front of a return and run the pump for 30 minutes or so to distribute the chemicals. I don't want to ask this friend to remove leaves or do anything else to the pool since he has a bad back. (There could potentially be a lot of leaves in the pool if there is a storm or high winds so I'm wondering if the chlorine additions will do much good.)
3. Put the mesh safety cover on the pool, get the pool up to shock level, turn the pump off, and leave. If it would be better to leave at normal chlorine levels and add polyquat, I could do that instead.

Because the cover is so hard to put on and take off, it would only be worth the effort to put the cover on if it could potentially prevent the pool from turning into a major swamp while we are gone without any chlorine additions and without running the pump. If we will likely come home to a major swamp no matter what we do because of the high temperatures and stagnant water, I think I will take my chances and do option #1 so I don't have to inconvenience my friend while we are away and won't have to mess with the cover. I've got a fiberglass pool so my pool normally clears up in 5 days or less during a SLAM but I've never done one during the heat of the summer before.
Why not take a chance and leave the pump running? Could maybe turn the skimmers off so they don’t get clogged up if you have a drain. Seems like that would be a better option.

Why not take a chance and leave the pump running? Could maybe turn the skimmers off so they don’t get clogged up if you have a drain. Seems like that would be a better option.
After experiencing several leaks and problems with our pump, I think it is just too risky to run the pump 24/7 unless someone could come over twice a day to check the water level and empty out the skimmers. Even if the water is dark green when we get home, it would be cheaper to clear it up than replace a pump. It will also give us peace of mind because we won't have to worry about the pool while we are gone.

I can’t help you with the pump, but for the leaves I just bought this. I can’t say how well it works as I just ordered it from Amazon and haven’t received it yet. I get a ton of pine needles and was considering putting on my safety cover when we go on vacation latter this summer. However if this works I won’t have to worry about the skimmer getting clogged up.

After experiencing several leaks and problems with our pump, I think it is just too risky to run the pump 24/7 unless someone could come over twice a day to check the water level and empty out the skimmers. Even if the water is dark green when we get home, it would be cheaper to clear it up than replace a pump. It will also give us peace of mind because we won't have to worry about the pool while we are gone.
I’d check out the difference between shock level (which varies by who’s saying it) and SLAM level. If it’s up at SLAM level and you add a floater, you could probably get a week or two out of it without a disaster when you return. I’d start the SLAM at least a few days before you leave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.