Pressure/suction reduced by about half every 12 hours. Need to clean cartridge filter to get things back to normal.

Smooth21

Jul 17, 2020
New England
My wife and I purchased our home last November so this is our first summer with a pool. We have a 24' above ground pool, 15k gallons with a cartridge filter and a heater (which we don't use). We use Enjoy brand chemicals. We've run into a myriad of problems but have gotten past them with the help of local pool stores.

One issue they cannot resolve is that the pressure/suction is greatly reduced only 10-12 hours after cleaning the cartridge filter. This means every single day we have to remove the filter, soak it in filter cleaner for a few hours, hose it off, then put everything back together. Once we clean the filter and fire things up again the system works great for half a day. The return jet is strong as is the suction at the skimmer basket. Inevitably I wake up the next morning, look out the window, and can tell from a distance that the return jet isn't nearly as strong as it should be. We use a sock on our skimmer basket (not sure if that's a relevant detail).

The filter doesn't look that dirty prior to cleaning. Our water is clean and clear yet something must be going on since cleaning the filter does in fact restore proper pressure/suction. Is it time for a new filter?

Sorry to say, test strips are worthless. You are better off taking a slug of pool water in your mouth, swishing it around, and guessing.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

I am sorry but we will not provide guidance based on pool store tests. You are welcome to have it tested and do what you wish, but we do not trust them as they are very often inaccurate, not repeatable, and are primarily done to sell products.

Reactions: Smooth21
I had the same issue as you are currently having before I discovered this website and incredibly helpful group of people. Definitely get the test kit mknauss recommended! You probably have algae, whether you see it or not, but do NOT buy any magic potions from your local pool store! Regular liquid chlorine bleach (with NO ADDITIVES in it - the cheapo brands are generally fine) is all you should ever add to your pool to sanitize it and keep it clean. Read the pool school articles here and you'll be fine!

Reactions: Smooth21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.