Pressure loss

Eilum

Jun 19, 2016
Jackson NJ
I know this has been addressed but not my specific issue, so thought I would ask the forum and maybe somebody can help. Have been adding DE to sand filter for about 24 hours, backwashing as needed although the pump did run for 5-6 hours at high (+8) PSI before one of the backwashes. Yesterday noticed that the starting pressure dropped 2 points (from 18 to 16) after one backwash.

Today, it dropped all the way down to 12. After backwash it goes to normal starting pressure of 18 but soon drops to as low as 12. Hasnt gone lower than that yet.

Cleaned out pump basket and skimmer baskets but no difference.

Is this a problem or should I just let it run at the lower pressure? And what can be causing this?

Thanks

I had my son slip his hand into the impeller opening (that is the hole that sucks in water behind the pump basket, right?) and he said it felt clear. Is there any other way to check/clean it out?

And can it run overnight as-is and will check AM or is this potentially harmful to the pump?

- Appreciate the help

I had my son slip his hand into the impeller opening (that is the hole that sucks in water behind the pump basket, right?) and he said it felt clear. Is there any other way to check/clean it out?

And can it run overnight as-is and will check AM or is this potentially harmful to the pump?

- Appreciate the help
Not without separating the motor from the wet end. I don't know for sure one way or the other if it would overheat the pump or not.

Just wanted to close out the thread with an update. Turns out the pump basket was clogged with tiny bits of debris and this was dropping the pressure. Happened a few more times since then and all it took was emptying the basket to return to normal.

Thanks all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.