Pressure gauge not reading

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
I had a company come out and install a new pump, and while they were there, I had them to go ahead and upgrade to media glass for the filter. My gauge was working before the sand change, but now its not reading anything. I called the company to tell them, and they said since I have a fountain attached to the return, that is probably why its not reading. Ive had that fountain on for 3yrs, and never had a problem. Could it have gone bad during the sand change?

What filter do you have? Where is the gauge attached? Post a pic of your filter showing the gauge.

What the company says is nonsense. Either the port the gauge screws into got plugged or the gauge broke.

Unscrew the gauge from the side of the multiport valve and look into the nipple and see if it's plugged. I bet it is. If it is, it most likely happened when they were rinsing the media. There are usually a lot of fines in glass media that gets rinsed out, and it can plug a gauge or gauge port. Especially one oriented sideways like the WaterWay ones are.

Here is a pic of my gauge. Now a stupid question...Can I just unscrew it? I don't show I have a pressure relief valve like ive seen on how to videos, so I don't want to do something stupid....

Attachments

• poolgauge.jpg
    poolgauge.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, it just unscrews.
Looking at it closely you'll see that the needle is past the stop pin. That means that the gauge is bad. The best thing to do is just buy a new gauge. I like glycerin filled gauges in 0-30 PSI, but a direct replacement will work.

Note that the pressure gauge is a tapered thread and the deeper you screw it in the more stress it puts on the plastic.

If you screw it in too much, it can crack the housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.