Preparing to buy a ABG pool

poolyander

May 13, 2020
EU, country side
Hello everyone.

I am in the process of purchasing our first above ground pool. Initially I wanted to buy an Intex pool but they are sold out in my area so I have decided to go with Bestway 549x274x122. The water capacity at 90% filled is 14,812 liter (3258 gallons) and the offer include a sand filter that can move 3785 liter/hour.

I was unable to find information how much power the pump draws but it probably isn’t negligible. I keep seeing heater ads for residential pools that are really high wattage. Our household is average and we can theoretically attach 3000W power consumer on a single “schuko” line. I say theoretically because all the cable extensions I tested so far overheat when I attach a 2000W green house air heater. Can you recommend me a power supply cable that will actually operate for several hours at 2-3kW?

I don’t think I can buy a fast electrical heater. What should I watch out if I buy gas heater in order for it to be compatible with Bestway pump attachments and what other hidden traps are there to pay attention to? We live in mild continental climate with hot summers in central Europe.

I plan to turn off pump and heater when the pool is in use so I am not too worried about grounding. The appliances here normally all have the grounding included in the power supply cable and our home grid has it as well in every socket.

Is there any reason besides free heating, to expose the pool to sun when not in use? I was planning to keep it covered at all times, except when in use.

I have a small tool shack near the area where the pool will be placed. I plan to extend the water hose a few meters in order to put all the appliances inside the shack and run it through the window. Mostly to dampen the noise and to keep it out of sight. Any potential issues with extending the hose for 3m and running it up and down through the window?

I noticed several videos when cleaning their sand filters with backflow, dumping all the water next to the pool on the ground. Regulations aside, how bad is it for the plants like grass when releasing so much water filled with chemicals? (poor frogs too:))

That is all for now, I hope I was not too verbose. Thanks for all the tips and help.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.