Preparing the pool for a special event

Re: CYA in indoor pool

Btw, sure would like to see some pics of your pool!

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

Re: CYA in indoor pool

If you're willing, could you turn one of the dresses into a corset on top with a modesty panel? Just takes some small holes being cut on the seams and a nice wide satin ribbon to lace up the back and tie in a bow.

20x40 in-ground concrete "vintage" pool
Approx 38k gal
Concrete, plaster and epoxy paint
Sand filter
DIY plaster resurface repairs completed 6/2015.

You mean to make it fit better ? LOL, no these dresses are not my old prom dresses, they wouldn't fit whatever I did to them ! :( These are more recent dresses that I've worn to different formal occasions. They all fit me ok, luckily I've not gained any weight the last few years.. :) My thoughts were more on what dress that could work for this. I don't want to wear any strapless dress, as if I get into the pool that could lead to a "top disaster"... and not anything super poufy as it will be in the way - it has to be reasonably comfy. As for possibly messing up the pool, the black velvet one is the only questionmark, none of the others will possibly do that. If it wasn't for that factor that one would be my choice, based on comfort.

Okay Linn! It is "THE day after"! Have you slept yet? I KNOW I am waiting for a blow by blow!

Kim:cat:

The day after ? As I guessed it took me more than one day to recover after this. Though everything went quite well I was totally exhausted afterwards. Like TOTALLY ! I was up and running for more than 24 hours straight and was busy fixing this or that before and during the event, and then busy with putting everything in order afterwards. I'd lots of help from my husband and many other parents, but it was still quite a load. But now I've recovered and most things are back to normal.

All in all the event was a success. Everyone had great fun and it's a party they'll all remember for a long, long time. There were a few minor problems, but nothing went seriously wrong at any point. Let's take things items by item. :)

Injuries or accidents ? None really. Only two minor mishaps: one girl sprained her ankle a bit when she was dancing and one guy got a small burn on one finger from accidentally touching the BBQ at breakfast. Security worked really well - our remote location and the barrier at the end of the road made it impossible for any gate crashers to come out here and also prevented the kids here from trying to get anywhere. Everyone stayed the night and in the morning we served them breakfast.

The first part of the party they'd something to eat after which they kept the dance floor busy. It didn't take all that long 'til the first ones ended up in the pool - a guy pushed his girlfriend in and went in with her. After a while many others started going in, some pushed in, some going in themselves. The sound level got up to where it could almost burst your ears.. :) After not all that long the pool was crowded, or really over crowded. The kids kept going in and out for most of the night. Swimming like that was a bit heavy of course, but they managed better than one could imagine. Some of them were dancing also in the pool ! Still with all that happening, the pool worked fine. The water got a bit cloudy after a couple of hours, but not too bad. The one safety thing I'd to remind them of a number of times was: no diving ! Jumping feet first was of course ok. Somewhere in the early hours the warning light "Backwash filter" came on, my husband did that and it was really the only pool maintenance thing during the event as such. It turned out that the automatic chem system worked great, chlorine and pH values were ok in the also in the morning and I was pleased to see that there were no odd things happening. Of course we must have used up a lot more chlorine compared to normally, but that was of course to be expected.

They splashed a lot and brought tons of water out of the pool. Can you imagine a bunch of kids going in and out with big prom dresses on, how much water that brings out of the pool ? The level controller did its best to add water, but couldn't quite keep up with the rate at which water was lost and after a few hours a warning light "low level /leak warning" came on as well. But since we had the bottom drain partly open (we'd closed it a bit to minimize the suction danger that we discussed earlier on) there was never any risk that the pump could run dry. Inspite of the warning, we know that there was no leak.

Also myself and some of the other parents ended up in the water. I didn't see quire what happened, I was close to the pool and suddenly I was in there. I didn't mind, I was all hot from running around and it was lovely to get in for a little while. I've ended up in the pool i full evening dress before, so I didn't have any trouble with that. :) I ended up going in a few times during the night, when I got too hot it was anice way to cool off a bit, even though the water was warm.

Some of the kids jumped in as natural as if they'd been in their swim suits, others, especially those with the really fancy dresses, made quite a show of it. Even though some got pushed in they really wanted to swim, as at with any pool party, if you really don't want to get wet you don't go anywhere near the pool. I'd expected that many of the kids would change into less formal attire after their initial dip in the pool. Some of the guys did, but most of the girls stayed all dressed up all night.

The fact that they went in fully dressed, many of them even with their shoes on, caused no problem with the pool. It got a bit cloudy yes, but that was bound to happen with that many people in there in any case. Also, I think formal attire is better for the filter, as it gives off less lint than if they'd been in e.g. blue jeans or so. They'd all kind of dresses, ranging from simple ones to the ultra fancy styles. As I mentioned earlier, one of them had a $ 5k dress and a few of her friends also had similar dresses. There's a group of girls in my daughters class who're really into dressing up when an occasion comes around (the other girls smetimes refer to them as "the princesses" :) ). They're a nice bunch, I know some of them quite well and they'd spent SO much time getting ready for prom, like it had been a main thing for the last few months for them !

It took the water a while to clear, but it did so without the need for any extra measures. About one day after the early morning backwash we had to do another one. Now the water looks just like it's always been and the chlorine pump isn't on that often any more. But I wonder about one thing: how does mascara affect the chemistry (or does it ?) I don't mean what was on their faces, that was not such a big amount. But one girl managed to dump like a years supply of it into the water.... I know that they were going to jump in in their prom dresses and I figured that some of them would go in with their heels on as well. But I'd not thought of that any of them would bring their purses in ! However, it became a dare-dare thing amoung quite a few of the girls to go in in absolutely everything, some of them bringing their purses in as well. Most of them put them back on land fairly soon, but one girl lost or left hers in the pool. I didn't see it, the pool was full of people, the water a bit cloudy and our pool lights don't really reach the corners that well. I spotted it in the morning and saw how something that looked like black smoke in the water was coming off the top of it. When I fished it out I got my hands blackish. Her makeup had abviously dissolved inside. Still it was not enough to dye the whole pool black, but there must be a bunch of that stuff in the pool now. Will the filter catch it ? Or the chlorine perhaps oxidize it ? It doesn't seem to have any effect on the pool as far as I can tell.

A few items were lost in the pool and in the morning we had to retrieve a bunch of things. Apart from that purse we found a few shoes, some jewelry, a couple of keys, coins and hair items and so, but most it could all be retrieved without trouble.

Those that changed into dry clothes put their dresses and other thing on the clothesline. I looked quite funny with a bunch of those dresses hanging like that ! Most of the kids stayed up all night, but some got too tired and needed a nap and we'd fixed two areas like that, one for the guys and one for the girls. In the morning we'd brakfast together and most of the kids were then picked up by their parents. A few stayed on for a few hours still.

I think that damages were quite minmal, also to their dresses. One girl totally ripped her dress, but the way it happened I'd say she ruined it on purpose. I haven't checked with everyone, but the dresses I saw seemed to be ok and I didn't hear anyone that was worried about that. I don't know for certain about the fancy dresses of the princesses but I didn't see anything to indicate any special problems. Anyhow, they come from families where money is not an issue, so even if they'd happen to ruin a dress it would be no big deal. Some kids are also planning for a trash the dress shoot later on, so compared to that this was mild - I think that those who go for that one will really ruin their dresses. They've discussed ideas far wilder than just getting wet, like having a food fight or playing with paint...

My prom girls dress was ok anyhow, it only need a little touch up with an iron to make it look like new again. I wasn't quite sure beforehand how it would take it, but in either case it wouldn't have been a problem. Compared to all the dangers of prom nights, giving them all a safe alternative was more important than any concern about her dress or her shoes.

What could have been still better ? Well a considerably bigger pool would have been nice ! It got over crowded at times, even though they were not all in at the same time. When it got too crowded some went into our garden pond instead ! Luckily this is a clean pond, not one full of muck or mud, but unlike the pool the water is not heated. Colored pool lights might be an idea worth checking into. This time we'd colored lights in the room, but the pool lights (white, 300 W) were strong enough to outdo them really.

In spite of all the hard work that it took I won't hesitate to do this again when our younger kids have their proms !

Well, I've better close now or I'll overload the forum server or something ! :)

Linn

I have been waiting for the update! :sun: This made me smile! Such a happy time for all AND they were all safe! You cannot do any better than that!

So when is the next one? LOL

How many did you end up with there?

I have been waiting for the update! :sun: This made me smile! Such a happy time for all AND they were all safe! You cannot do any better than that!

So when is the next one? LOL

How many did you end up with there?

Thanks ! Yeah, we all had a good time and the kids loved it. Groups of them have been comingback here to chat a bit, some to pick up stuff that they'd lost during the party. My feet got a bit sore from wearing high heels all night long, but it was even tougher for the kids when it comes to that. The fashion seems to be to wear as high as you can find in any store and the kids are not used to that. My girl has sore feet even now... Her outfit has dried completely by now and seems to have survived ok. The top rail on her purse rusted slightly, but it's so Little that if you don't know about it you won't notice it.

The pool has recovered as well, and we've now started using it like we always do. The night AFTER the party one of the lights gave up, but it was just the bulb and it must have been just by coincidence. I'm glad it didn't happen during the party. The water level is also back to normal. I think we lost close to 3" of water, in spite of the automatic level control system adding water all the time durng the event. The floor of the pool room was absolutely flooded at the end, but it's a stone floor so it can handle that without any problems. It splashed so much that those who left their shoes or purse next to the pool found them to be just as soaked as those who went into the pool with them. The dehumidifiers and the ventilation had to run full blast all night, but didtheir job. The recorded RH in the room never got above about 80 % at any time. This is important as electrical Equipment and Electronics often have a function limit at 85 % RH.

I'm glad that we decided to tell the kids to put away their phones for the night, and most of them really did that. That's one of the hardest things to convince kids of today to do, even harder than telling them not to drink,but the planned wetness and the poor reception in our area helped. If we hadn't done that there would probably have been many damaged phones as well as that many kids would have spent their time on the phone rather than with their friends.

All the other moms that helped out during the event dressed up in formals as well. A couple of them said they hadn't done that since the days of their own prom ! And ending up like that in the pool was a first for some of them. Myself I finally decided on a silver outfit I had, with a ilver gown, silver heels and purse as well. It was reasonably comfortable and I didn't trip onit or getstuck init, whether on land or in the water. And my outfit survived ok as well.

Linn

If you took any pictures of them in the pool with their dresses, it'd be cool to see...... Hint hint, ha ha.

I took a few Pictures, but not many, I was just too busy. But I can't post any of them though. At a meeting before the event some parents were concerned that some pictures could get embarassing or so. If their dresses got wet, some could turn a bit transparant or get too clingy. So it was decided to do as with school or PTA events: Pictures may only be posted to a special page that they have for this and that one is locked/password protected so that only the kids themselves, the parents and the school staff can access them. Some may pop up somewhere anyhow, but so far that doesn't seem to have happened. But otherwise it all made for fun and memorable pictures for them and some of the other parents took quite a few. It looked really funny when the super dressed up ones jumped in - a scene quite a bit out of the ordinary.

what fun to read about it-THANKS!

I would not post pics for many reasons that include what you said and just because......

So when is the next one?

Well I guess the next one will be next year.... it may become an annual event for some time, with all the kids in our house now ! Though we may perhaps circulate it around. We had a little BBQ get together with the parents that helped out this weekend and discussed lessons learned and plans for the future.A number of ideas came up, including another family that could possibly host something similar next time. THeir place is also on the remote side, plus that they have a much bigger pool (about 4 times the size of ours). It got pretty crowded in ours, so in that respect a big one would be better, but a pool that size also means that more issues regarding water safety would have to be considered. That pool has a really deep end and a diving board. In our pool most of the kids could reach the bottom, which made it easier that way. If one is using a big pool, a designated lifeguard is probably necessary throughout the night.Also it takes someone who is really good at diving to retrieve any lost items in the pool. It's really important to get everything out afterwards. I found a hair clip that we'd missed in our pool and it had already left a brown rust spot where it had been sitting. I managed to get the stain out but it really took some effort.

All the parents thought the whole thing had been a real success and there were only a few things that we would change in retrospect. As soon as I have the time I'll write up a summary with things to think of if someone else is planning something like this.

The water in our pool had a bit of extra chlorine smell after the party, preumably because of the process when the chlorine was taking care of whatever had come in there, but the water has now returned to normal also in that respect. We never had to replace water, except for all the water lost, and we didn't have to shock the pool either. I think many factors helped there: dressy clothes don't give off a lot of lint as e.g. cotton does. Everone for sure wears clean clothes to prom and everyone will have showered before going to prom as well. Replacing the water lost during the party + the water lost during two backwash cycles did of course add a reasonable amount of fresh water as well. The temperature dropped a bit but it pickup ok reasonably soon. We also have an overdimensioned filter and pump (for the size of our pool) which of course speeded up the cleaning process.

Those kids who are setting up that trash the dress shoot are trying their best to get some more kids to join them. At first they were four, now it seems to be at least 7-8 of them. My girl is on the fence about it, though it may collide with a camp she's going to anyhow. If she want to join in I'll let her do it, but I warned her that if they're to play with paint she may have a problem with her hair
afterwards !

Linn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi ! Finally I'm back here with a few things I wrote down for others who may be considering arranging something like this. It's been a fe very busy weeks, now I finally got the time.

Post prom pool party – lessons learned and practical hints

Security is most vital in order for an event like this to stay a safe one. One must make sure that gatecrashers can not get in and also ensure that alcohol and drugs are kept out. This requires a good cooperation with the parents as well. Those who came to this party had to have their parents sign a for where it was specially stated that the parents would come and pick up their son/daughter at any hour upon a request to do so and we also stated that anyone found intoxicated would have to be picked up right away. Luckily we had no security incidents at all this time. Our remote location and the fact that we have a barrier that we could close so that nobody could drive up here without checking with us helped a lot in reducing the risk of such problems.

Cooperation with other parents is also vital. The help we got in pulling this through was extremely valuable. It also helped that the other parents knew exactly what the setup was and that way we safeguarded ourselves against possible complaints afterwards.

Timing: kids that age have almost infinite energy to party and can keep going all night. We’d prepared a couple of rest areas if some of them got tired, but very few actually used them.

Pool issues: Water safety is of course highly important. At least one responsible adult should be in the pool area throughout the event. We took turns all night and there were no incidents at all. Most kids that age are good swimmers, but it can’t be taken for granted and if they’re going in fully dressed it’s a bit heavier to swim.

The pool itself had no problems with this. The water got a bit cloudy after some time, but it cleared fine afterwards. We have automatic chlorination, but if you have a pool that you run manually you may need to check chlorine in the course of the event, to make sure it stays at safe levels.

The fact that they went in fully dressed had no effect on the pool. We had to backwash a couple of times, that was all. Most likely that issue is easier with a more formal event like this, all clothes are clean and dressy clothes don’t give off lint like e.g. blue jeans do.

As for whether they should change into swimwear or jump in in their prom gear, we left that one up to them. Swimwear is far more practical, but swimming in their prom dresses made it more memorable for them. They had a blast doing it and I’m sure they’ll remember this for years to come. With regard to the pool, either way will work. As for shoes, we also left that up them. We’ve a concrete pool so even if they went in in high heels there was no issue with the pool. This would apply to all hard pools, concrete, gunite, tiles, mosaic and so on. But if you have a pool with a PVC liner, you may want to tell them to leave their shoes out. I think the risk of puncturing a liner is fairly small, as you weigh much less in the water, but I think there could be a risk, especially with the cheaper thinner type of pools. As I mentioned in an earlier post we’d a small problem with a girl who left her purse in the water and her makeup dissolved… We had set up a “dry room” where they were told to leave phones and similar that can’t stand water. Telling them to leave their makeup there as well would have been a good idea, but we haven’t noted any strange effects in the pool afterwards.

Damage to their clothes was minimal. I haven’t checked with everyone, but it seems the dresses survived it quite well. Guys who mostly have rented tuxes were told to take off their jackets. According to a rental company we checked with there should be no problem with the their pants and shirts and that turned out to be correct. Actually they said MOST jackets that they rent to promgoers can stand water as well, but that there are some that can’t.

Many prom dresses these days are synthetic, like polyester or similar, and those are just wash and wear type, no problems there. Real silk dresses are a definite minority. Most silks can stand water, though not all. In general too, those with very fancy dresses came from families where a lost dress would be no problem anyhow, and how often is a prom dress even used more than once anyhow ? Thinking of the fact that some of them are going for a trash the dress shoot at a later time, where they almost certainly will really ruin their dresses, is a sign of the same thing, they’re not expecting to re-use them.

They'd all brought other clothes to change into afterwards, but most of them stayed in their prom clothes for really long, especially the girls. In the morning we served all the kids breakfast and then they were picked up their parents. Some of the dresses dried really fast on the clothesline, but we'd stocked up on large platic bags for those who needed to bring their things home all wet.

Electrical safety is VITAL ! You WILL have water all over the place, so don’t allow any lights, sound equipment or other items that need power to be anywhere even in the vicinity of the pool unless they operate on 12 V and are fed through a pool safety class transformer ! The wet kids will be wet also on the dance floor and you will have lots of water everywhere. This is a pool issue as well: you may lose that much water that the circulation cold be compromised if the level falls below the skimmer inlet. We have auto-level in our pool, but if you don’t have that you may need to check the level and possibly also add water during the event. Raising the level a couple of inches before the event is a good precaution.

Kids that age get hungry fast ! Having some snacks to serve throughout it all is vital. Just make sure you don’t allow any food or drink in or near the pool. That really makes a mess of your water, much more than anything else.

All in all, we all had a great night and even though we were all exhausted afterwards we feel it was well worth it ! All went well and we’d only a couple of small mishaps: one girl sprained her ancle while dancing and one guy got a small burn on his finger (BBQ).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.