Preparing Pool for Cooler Months

SteveK52

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2019
Taylors South Carolina
We live in an area where the temperature occasionally falls below freezing. This is the first year we have had the pool and I'm trying to come up with a good plan to get through the cooler months. I'm planning on running the pump, do I run it the same length of time (currently 12 hours)? I am planning on putting a solar cover. What FC level should I maintain and with the cover on will I still need to monitor it? The intake is set for approximately 90% skimmer and 10% drain, should I change that? I plan on dissasembling and cleaning the filter. Should the SWG unit be left in place or blank put in it's place? Should the SWG unit be taken apart and cleaned? I'm expecting to do this around the first of November. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve, we're in similar positions. We get a few hard freezes in Jan & Feb, but for the most part not drastic. I change nothing except for the amount of bleach/chlorine required because FC consumption slows down dramatically. In your case, once the water temp drops to about 65 or so, you may notice the SWG shuts-down anyways. So you'll also go manual with occasional bleach/chlorine additions. Easy stuff. You will also be able to minimize pump run time as well, and may find only running it just to keep chemicals mixed or on those really low temp drops and hard freeze nights/mornings. For that reason, I do keep a tarp and plastic cover nearby if we encounter sleet which keeps the equipment pad from exposure to those harsh times. I would leave the skimmer/drain settings the way you have them as surface skimming is most important. Other than that, it's business as usual - just MUCH slower. :)

One thing I’d always suggest to pool owners who keep the pool open year round but still may see a good freeze now and then........

Take a few minutes now when the temps are still nice and warm to learn how to shut down everything and drain your system. You don’t really need to do everything, just learn how. A few years ago freak cold spells hit some of the south and left many pool owners without power for a few days. The only way to fully guarantee the pipes wouldn’t freeze was to drain the equipment pad as they couldn’t run their pumps due to no power.

It’s ALOT easier/enjoyable to learn how to do everything when it’s 80° outside than when it’s 30° outside. ?

One thing I’d always suggest to pool owners who keep the pool open year round but still may see a good freeze now and then........

Take a few minutes now when the temps are still nice and warm to learn how to shut down everything and drain your system. You don’t really need to do everything, just learn how. A few years ago freak cold spells hit some of the south and left many pool owners without power for a few days. The only way to fully guarantee the pipes wouldn’t freeze was to drain the equipment pad as they couldn’t run their pumps due to no power.

It’s ALOT easier/enjoyable to learn how to do everything when it’s 80° outside than when it’s 30° outside. ?
Yes, that’s actually good advice
since I don’t know how to drain, and have always relied on my freeze protect for those occasional freezes, I probably should learn how now, while it’s 80, in case we ever have a power outage with freezing temps.
Although, ? I’m probably not any smarter when it’s warmer outside, ;)
If I find a ‘how to video’.....I’ll end up having to watch it more than once before getting it.....

Yes, that’s actually good advice
since I don’t know how to drain, and have always relied on my freeze protect for those occasional freezes, I probably should learn how now, while it’s 80, in case we ever have a power outage with freezing temps.
Although, ? I’m probably not any smarter when it’s warmer outside, ;)
If I find a ‘how to video’.....I’ll end up having to watch it more than once before getting it.....

Buy a submersible pump that you can drop into the pool. See a few mentioned here submersible pump advice needed

Have an extension cord to plug it into a GFCI outlet and a hose to put on it that reaches to a place to discharge the water.

That's all you need.

Reactions: beautifulpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.