RayKing

May 14, 2020
DFW
I have a 15' x 30' above ground pool. The liner was removed several years ago and it went from being an above ground pool to an above ground planter. It filled with grass, weeds and tree saplings.

I'm in the process of cleaning it out in preparation for a new liner. I have pulled all the weeds and saplings up by their roots and will treat the area with Roundup to kill the grass including nutsedge. I will then remove all the debris and smooth the sand.

Instead of putting the liner directly on sand as I did initially, I will use rigid foam and/or a pool pad. I will use foam coving instead of dirt that I initially used .

My primary concern is to keep any plants from harming the liner.

Here are my questions:

1. Since I am using foam and/or pad between the sand and the liner do I still need to apply nutsedge killer on the sand?

2. Would there be any advantage to using foam and a pad? Do they both block nutsedge? Would any other plant grow from the sand?

3. What thickness of foam 1/2" or 1".

4. What's the best pad? Gorilla, Rhino ?

5. What size cove?

Any answers and comments are greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You may already be ahead of the game on this since no one replied, but I'll address some items just in case:
1. I would. The TX nut grass and weeds are extremely resilient.
2. Pads (like the Gorilla Pad) should provide better durability against penetration, but having at least one or the other is better than none at all.
3. If you can, I would go 1 inch, but that's easy for me to say. :)
4. Oooooh, I'm not aware of any specific pros or cons to either brand.
5. If you are going to do a cover, think it through from all angles (wind, winter freezing, etc). Covers for AGPs can be a bit tricky, especially if you live in an area were you may close the pool in the winter. There's a big concern for wall stability. But I generally see AGP covers with at least 1-2 ft overhang so the cover can be secured. You may also need that additional size to make-up for the elevating the cover from the water (i.e. doughnut).

Well, I hope some of that helps. Let us know if you have more questions. Thanks for posting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.