Preliminary Quote Feedback

justinrowan

Apr 26, 2020
Arkansas
Hey there! New member here, trying to soak in all the info I can. I've talked to a couple builders and have a preliminary quote, wondering if you knowledgeable folks can give me some feedback. I'm in central Arkansas. Vinyl lined, 3ft-6ft deep. Easy access to the yard.

PB1:
Vinyl Lined, 18x36 freeform (kidney shape).
1 jandy LED color changing light
8 tab cholorinator
jandy sand filter
1hp jandy flow pro pump
2 skimmers
2 returns
main drain
4ft of deck around perimeter
$7/sq ft for additional decking
$39k + $4,500 for cantilever coping (stamped/stained), +$3,500 for vinyl lined steps.
no swim out bench, says the liner doesn't typically hold up to them
$47k

PB2:
vinyl lined, 18x37 freeform ('mountain oasis' shape)
vinly lined steps, swim out bench in one of the small curves
2 led color changing lights
300lbs sand filter
1.5hp pump
1 skimmer
2 main drains
3 returns
cantilever coping
4ft decking around edges, 6ft decking on each end
$5/sq ft for additional decking
$47k

Both PB's require I pay electrician directly, estimated +$1,500.

I asked both builder's about plumbing/conduit for extra deck jets, water features, LED lights, so that I could add them in the future. PB1 said needed to put them in when built, PB2 said plumbing for extras is no problem and wouldn't cost anything.

PB1 says they strongly encourage tab cholrinators and not SWG, and said variable speed pumps aren't necessary and wear out more quickly.
PB2 says they only usually do salt on 8ft deep ends or more, with a cell sized 2x, and encourages a variable speed pump (+$800 for the pump).

Additional lights are +$800, deck jets are +$600.

PB1 is about 8 weeks out plus 3-4 week build time.
PB2 is about 7 weeks out plus 6 week build time.

We have a third builder coming out next week, but I'd like some feedback from you guys if possible!

Thanks!

Last edited:
ask about nonslip version of liner for swim outs/step outs. i have a shelf that is 4" deep and swim outs and liner works just fine on it. water features can affect PH levels just fyi. i would want a swg regardless of volume. i prefer a DE filter but sand is perfectly fine. will you need to cover the pool for winter in your yard? do you have full sun? do you anticipate a lot of debris getting in your water? well or city water? any drawings of your design?

Well, of those write ups PB #2 would get my vote!

PB #1 is dumping old stock of pumps on you as coming up in 2021 federal law says all pool pumps over .75 hp *must* be variable speed for energy savings. Get a big 3hp VS and you can run it as high or low gpm as you desire.
PB #1 is pushing a chlorine puck on you also. SWGs are *the* way to go for convenience, water comfort, etc.
Read this: How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
Pool #1 needs more than 1 light and 2 returns, and 3' is wayyyyyyy too shallow. We recommend starting at 4' if you are putting in a tanning ledge.

Maddie :flower:

Well, of those write ups PB #2 would get my vote!

PB #1 is dumping old stock of pumps on you as coming up in 2021 federal law says all pool pumps over .75 hp *must* be variable speed for energy savings. Get a big 3hp VS and you can run it as high or low gpm as you desire.
PB #1 is pushing a chlorine puck on you also. SWGs are *the* way to go for convenience, water comfort, etc.
Read this: How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
Pool #1 needs more than 1 light and 2 returns, and 3' is wayyyyyyy too shallow. We recommend starting at 4' if you are putting in a tanning ledge.

Thank you for the feedback! Good to know on the federal law, makes it a no-brainer. A few followups:
Is a 3HP necessary for my size pool? Will I need any sort of automation to utilize a VS pump and a SWG? Neither quote included any automation, but I'm thinking about asking PB2 about a quote on EasyTouch.
We aren't doing a tanning ledge, so would 3.5' be a good compromise? My wife is only 5' tall. :)

ask about nonslip version of liner for swim outs/step outs. i have a shelf that is 4" deep and swim outs and liner works just fine on it. water features can affect PH levels just fyi. i would want a swg regardless of volume. i prefer a DE filter but sand is perfectly fine. will you need to cover the pool for winter in your yard? do you have full sun? do you anticipate a lot of debris getting in your water? well or city water? any drawings of your design?
Thanks for the info! We won't cover the pool, we have full sun, we're on 3 acres with zero shade or trees except the very back of the property, so really no debris either. We are on city water.

Since your pool is going to be 37' long, yeah you can get away with 3.5' to start. Your longer pool should still avail itself to have a decent, if not smaller swimability for a lap. You can't swim in 3'-3.5' of water as you scrape knuckles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.