Pre-planning - Electrical Power Questions

TangoOversway

Jul 19, 2019
Richmond, VA, USA
There's a thread here where I asked about an issue I'll have to deal with for my pool, so I guess that's an introduction to what I'm doing and I'll be posting pics and so forth there as things move along.

But for now, I have a few questions regarding planning.

I know I need to power a pump. I'm going to need extra skimmers, since I know I'll have a leaf issue. I will be putting in some lights, in the pool and maybe on posts above ground. I also want to heat the pool - if not now, in the future. I'm also pretty sure there's going to be a lazy river.

This is all going to be near a guest house, which is an old pig barn that we're renovating. (Well guest house, recreation area, pool house, home theater - we're fitting a lot of fun into that building!)

My current problem is that we're working on the wiring for the renovated barn and we'll add an extra outdoor panel on the wall. From there, I will have an underground conduit that will lead under the road to the barn and to the pool. I need to get an idea of what I'm looking at in terms of powering everything for the pool. I know the heater will need 220V. I don't know how many amps it'll need, though. Is that the only thing I'll need 220V for? And about how much power do I need for the rest of everything? Am I leaving out anything I need to supply electricity to? (I know the lazy river pump is 220V and 50 amps. I'm trying to get numbers for the rest.)

Last edited:
What type of heater? Gas? Heat pump?

(I know the lazy river pump is 22V and 50 amps.

What model pump is that?

Provide a complete list of electrical equipment.

I'm still pre-planning. I don't even have the actual shape for the pool. At this point, I need to be sure the subpanel that will supply the pool has enough power to handle what it needs. I didn't even know I could use different types of heaters, like a heat pump. It won't be a gas heater. By the time I pay for putting a tank in and so on, that's a LOT of extra expense. At this point, if I can figure a max, that tells me what the panel needs. From there, if needed, I can always use less power.

For the lazy river, I'm talking to the people at River Flow Pumps and I talked with them just before posting this - but I do realize I made a typo and it's 220V, not 22V. So I'm going to edit it and fix that.

- Heat pump needs 50 amps.
- Regular pool pump needs 20 amps
- SWG, and convenience outlet is another 20 amps
- You say lazy river pump is 50 amps.
- Lights is another 15 amps depending on type and amount

So you are looking at 100+ amp service for the pool.

It took a while for the guy to explain the issue with the lazy river pump to me. They have to use a converter to convert the current to 3 phase. He said it actually only uses 20 amps, but due to various issues, a 50 amp breaker is required for the pump. I forgot the reasoning, but it had something to do with the 3 phase issue.

What is SWG?

Is anything other than the LR (Lazy River) pump or the heater 220V?

I'm going back and forth about a heater, but my philosophy is "do it right and plan ahead." I'd much rather have the wiring in place for a heater and not use it than need it and have to run another line! When I think about using a heater, I think I'd gain about 2-3 weeks on each end of the season,allowing for my need for a cover due to leaf problems in the fall and wanting to keep it covered until most things are out in the spring. That's a longer swim season, but I'm not so sure how much of a difference it would make for me. I doubt I'll put a heater in at first, but I'll make sure I have things set up so I can put it in later.

Wouldn’t a 100 amp sub panel be way more than enough for everything. I mean my 100 amp sub is powering my whole pool and a ton of circuits in my pool house and I still have room to grow?

I would jist get the heater now and be done with it. Have it all tied in so wiring and conduits are not an after thought and u have an issue. I would think the extra cost of the heater is pennies when you are talking about a pool with a lazy river that is a huge cost to begin with?

My pool has 30 amp service which runs everything accept the gas heater. If I had gone with a heat pump they would have done 50 amp service. If you go 100 amp you'll have ample power I can't imagine needing more than that for a 2 pumps and a heater. Lights use very little as do Saltwater chlorine generators. BTW: Almost every major component of the pool is 220. The light and the regular convenience outlets are about the only thing that don't along with any automation you might get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.