Power requirements into Easytouch

Gokctx

Jul 16, 2016
Escondido
I am running new 240 volt wire to my pool. It will be used to power a Pentaire easytouch 4 with ic40 SWG and a Pentaire intelliflow pump. I thought AWG #8 providing 30-40 amps would be more than sufficient but the easy touch install manual says AWG #4 for a minimum of 60 amps is required power input.

Why the 60 amp requirement and can I get away with #8 AWG into the Easytouch?

Also should there be intermediate junction box with cutoff switch for power into easy touch or does Easytouch have a built in power cutoff switch for the pool equipment?

Our pool is in San Diego.

What is the complete list of circuits you will have in the ET?
- lights?
- 20 amp outlet?

Power cutoff will be the CBs in the ET load center.

Why an old ET instead of the new IntelliCenter?

G,

I did not look at the manual, but 60 amp is just not required as a minimum...

I have a standard 30 amp breaker in my house panel. feeding my EasyTouch. and it works just fine. I have have never popped the breaker and run an IntelliFlo pump, SWCG, and several other items...

The pool builder installed the system and used standard orange 10 gauge 30 amp wire.

Thanks,

Jim R.

the Installation page of the ET does actually cite a minimum of 60 amps input into it. I don’t have that much equipment to power just pool pump, ic40, and maybe a light or two will be added. No plans to add heater or spa or extra pumps.

The pool equipment is under a Deck accessible via trap door do not super easy to access. What I wanted to accomplish with ET is being able to control pump and IC40 from my phone. Will look into intellicenter— any other ideas for inexpensive way to control pool equipment from phone appreciated.

It also says.. "Supply conductor must be sized to support all loads..."

If the 60 amp thing was true, 80% of all EasyTouch units would not work.. Not sure what they were trying to say, but I am sure it is not that the unit requires 60 amps to work..

I would run either 30 amps or the amount of current you think you might use if more than 30 amps..

Thanks,

Jim R.

While you think you do not want to put more equipment on the ET panel you are limiting future owners from adding equipment without major rewiring. Consider how much you are really saving in not putting 60 amps to the ET now. At least run a larger conduit with a pull wire that someone can pull larger wire in the future. You or someone else may appreciate it someday.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.