Power at timer, no power at both pumps

May 11, 2018
Sykesville / MD
I’ve got power going to my timer (Intermatic T104R), but no power going to my main pool pump and booster pump. I store the pumps in a shed over the winter, and I just reconnected them. I’ve check with a multimeter and I’ve got 240v at the timer on terminals 1 and 3 when off, 240v at all the timer terminals when I flip the switch, but nothing at both pumps.

Do you have any suggestions to help me troubleshoot?

I’ve got an electrician coming on Saturday, I’m just trying to save a few bucks if I can solve it before then with a simple fix

Thanks!

Polaris PB4-60 booster
Pentair CHII-N1-1A Challenger Pump

I suggest you look at the wiring between the timer terminals and the pumps. There must be a junction box if one timer is feeding two pumps.

C-man,

I just want to confirm that you measured between pins 1 and 3 to get 240 volts.. and that you did NOT measure pin 1 to ground and pin 3 to ground..

If you have 240 volts AC between 2 and 4, then the timer is working and .. There is a problem between the timer and the pumps.

Were did you "Reconnect" the pumps??? Do you just plug them in, or do you have to connect individual wires???

Thanks,

Jim R.

C-man,

I just want to confirm that you measured between pins 1 and 3 to get 240 volts.. and that you did NOT measure pin 1 to ground and pin 3 to ground..

If you have 240 volts AC between 2 and 4, then the timer is working and .. There is a problem between the timer and the pumps.

Were did you "Reconnect" the pumps??? Do you just plug them in, or do you have to connect individual wires???

Thanks,

Jim R.
I suggest you look at the wiring between the timer terminals and the pumps. There must be a junction box if one timer is feeding two pumps.

Hi Jim, the booster pump has a separate switch. It’s not connected directly to the timer (see picture)

Attachments

• IMG_9386.jpeg
    IMG_9386.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 1
C-man,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Correct. I measured between 1 and 3 and got 240v and between 2 and 4 and got 240v.

I reconnected the pump with the individual wires (see pic)

When I measured the wires at the pump I got between 12-16v when touching one live terminal and one ground

Attachments

• IMG_9385.jpeg
    IMG_9385.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9137.jpeg
    IMG_9137.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 4
C-man,

Logically, if the wires go straight to the pump, then there is an open in the wires.. Not unheard of, I had the same situation and had to run new wires.. It was a metal conduit that just rusted in two..

If the wires go to some junction box between the timer and the pump, then that would be the first place to look.

Thanks,

Jim R.