Pour 1" trichlor tabs into my chlorinator?

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So this is probably a newbie question but I'm faced with it.

I typically use straight bleach but am running a mix of trichlor and bleach this year due to bleach availability. I wasn't paying attention and bought the 1" tabs instead of the 3" tabs (I didn't even know 1" tabs were a thing?)

Anyway, I'd rather not make a return trip right now and see no reason I can't fill my chlorinator with them. Comments?

I would expect perhaps a slight increase in chlorine output due to the greater surface area and greater rate of erosion. That's not a bad thing as my chlorinator doesn't really keep up.

I would think it would be ok.

Are you monitoring your CYA level closely while using tri-chlor? Tri-Chlor (tablets) and Di-Chlor (powder) with both raise your CYA. They can be used, but you need monitor CYA and replace water as necessary, which is why they aren't really recommended.

While bleach is out of stock here, I am finding liquid chlorine no problem. Maybe look at a pool store, or in the pool section of Walmart.

Don't fill the chlorinator.

Use the absolute minimum possible to avoid getting a super high concentration of chlorine in the feeder.

What would a super-high concentration be?

My daily chlorine demand is around 3 ppm in the summer per day, and is probably around 2 ppm right now. I would approximate my chlorinator is putting out 1 to 2 ppm per day (pump runs for 8 hours) and I augment it with 1 gallon of 10% bleach per week right now. I understand dichlor shock is designed to dissolve rapidly, but like I said I do not expect a drastic increase in the erosion rate of the 1" trichlor tabs.

I found the 10% chlorine last week at Lowes but it has been sketchy. Not being able to supplement my supplies from the grocery store (I go once every 2 weeks) is a bummer for running straight bleach.

My CYA is 40 ppm. I balanced it a few weeks ago and overshot past the target 30. I plan to return to bleach next year. So this is a calculated risk, literally.

I would say a maximum of (23) 1" tablets at a time.

Don't turn the pump off when you have tabs in the feeder and don't turn the feeder valve to off.

I should add the Pentair is in the bottom feed arrangement and I have it maxed out. So really only the tabs at the bottom are eroding, I'm not sure if that affects the calculus.

I lost the longer hose for the top feed connection some time after I installed it a few years ago. I'm not sure if it is worth chasing down those parts and converting over to top feed to get the increased output, I'm limping along reasonably well and hope to get back to straight bleach. That model is rated up to 27000 gallons in bottom feed and my pool is only 20000 gallons. So I'm really not happy about that.

I'm afraid I don't follow your statement about turning the pump or feeder off.

Once the tablets get wet, they continue to dissolve.

If they are in a feeder with no flow, the chlorine concentration is super corrosive and dangerous.

The liquid is very low pH and very high chlorine, which creates chlorine gas that will migrate through the system and destroy anything it touches.

Once the tablets get wet, they continue to dissolve.

If they are in a feeder with no flow, the chlorine concentration is super corrosive and dangerous.

The liquid is very low pH and very high chlorine, which creates chlorine gas that will migrate through the system and destroy anything it touches.

Thanks, I'll just return them. That sounds like a bust.

So I did have to use these up last week. They do seem to erode much faster than the 3" pucks. My FC rose to shock level (13 ppm) and remained there despite the chlorinator being barely cracked open.

When I switched back to 3" pucks, the FC level started to plummet. There is clearly a difference in the formulation, despite the listed active ingredients being identical. So you can use them in a pinch, but it isn't ideal. In my case the pool was in a place where a week of shocking wasn't a bad thing. You could probably flip the chlorinator on and off on a schedule and get those levels down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.