Pour 1" trichlor tabs into my chlorinator?

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
195
Fort Mill, SC
So this is probably a newbie question but I'm faced with it.

I typically use straight bleach but am running a mix of trichlor and bleach this year due to bleach availability. I wasn't paying attention and bought the 1" tabs instead of the 3" tabs (I didn't even know 1" tabs were a thing?)

Anyway, I'd rather not make a return trip right now and see no reason I can't fill my chlorinator with them. Comments?

I would expect perhaps a slight increase in chlorine output due to the greater surface area and greater rate of erosion. That's not a bad thing as my chlorinator doesn't really keep up.
 

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
19,319
Don't fill the chlorinator.

Use the absolute minimum possible to avoid getting a super high concentration of chlorine in the feeder.
 

pinguy

Well-known member
May 30, 2015
527
Pennsylvania
I would think it would be ok.

Are you monitoring your CYA level closely while using tri-chlor? Tri-Chlor (tablets) and Di-Chlor (powder) with both raise your CYA. They can be used, but you need monitor CYA and replace water as necessary, which is why they aren't really recommended.

While bleach is out of stock here, I am finding liquid chlorine no problem. Maybe look at a pool store, or in the pool section of Walmart.
 

Billtkat

Well-known member
Apr 25, 2020
89
Oro Valley, AZ
If you have an ACE store , check there too. Walked in yesterday for furnace filters and they had the 10% stuff on sale for Memorial Day Sale - 2.99 a gallon ! Less than Walmart on sale
 

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
195
Fort Mill, SC
Don't fill the chlorinator.

Use the absolute minimum possible to avoid getting a super high concentration of chlorine in the feeder.
What would a super-high concentration be?

My daily chlorine demand is around 3 ppm in the summer per day, and is probably around 2 ppm right now. I would approximate my chlorinator is putting out 1 to 2 ppm per day (pump runs for 8 hours) and I augment it with 1 gallon of 10% bleach per week right now. I understand dichlor shock is designed to dissolve rapidly, but like I said I do not expect a drastic increase in the erosion rate of the 1" trichlor tabs.

I found the 10% chlorine last week at Lowes but it has been sketchy. Not being able to supplement my supplies from the grocery store (I go once every 2 weeks) is a bummer for running straight bleach.

My CYA is 40 ppm. I balanced it a few weeks ago and overshot past the target 30. I plan to return to bleach next year. So this is a calculated risk, literally.
 

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
19,319
I would say a maximum of (23) 1" tablets at a time.

Don't turn the pump off when you have tabs in the feeder and don't turn the feeder valve to off.
 

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
195
Fort Mill, SC
I would say a maximum of (23) 1" tablets at a time.

Don't turn the pump off when you have tabs in the feeder and don't turn the feeder valve to off.
I should add the Pentair is in the bottom feed arrangement and I have it maxed out. So really only the tabs at the bottom are eroding, I'm not sure if that affects the calculus.

I lost the longer hose for the top feed connection some time after I installed it a few years ago. I'm not sure if it is worth chasing down those parts and converting over to top feed to get the increased output, I'm limping along reasonably well and hope to get back to straight bleach. That model is rated up to 27000 gallons in bottom feed and my pool is only 20000 gallons. So I'm really not happy about that.

I'm afraid I don't follow your statement about turning the pump or feeder off.
 

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
19,319
Once the tablets get wet, they continue to dissolve.

If they are in a feeder with no flow, the chlorine concentration is super corrosive and dangerous.

The liquid is very low pH and very high chlorine, which creates chlorine gas that will migrate through the system and destroy anything it touches.
 

C3Cl3N3O3

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
195
Fort Mill, SC
Once the tablets get wet, they continue to dissolve.

If they are in a feeder with no flow, the chlorine concentration is super corrosive and dangerous.

The liquid is very low pH and very high chlorine, which creates chlorine gas that will migrate through the system and destroy anything it touches.
Thanks, I'll just return them. That sounds like a bust.