Post your Pre/Post Harvey tests here

SpringPool

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2017
San Antonio TX
So Harvey hit and our area received anywhere from 35-50 inches of rain. From some of the construction posts it filled pools that had been recently gunnited. I thought this would be a great place to escape and post some numbers from our pools.

My last full panel was 20 Aug and FC pH on the 25th the night it started raining
Pre Harvey

FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 275
CYA 40
Temp 89 (dropped from 93 on the 20th)
CSI -.29

during Harvey tested Cl and pH

27 Aug FC 3.5 pH 8.2 (no lighting storms that night so a gal of Cl and MA went in the pool)
28 Aug FC 5.5 pH 7 (1 gal Cl temp drop over 4 days to 76)

29 Aug the sun came out late afternoon for a few minutes and the rain stopped so I put the new prowler 920 in the pool for the first time.

Post Harvey
29 Aug PM

FC 10
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 20
CH 150
CYA 20
Temp 76
CSI -1.44

Added 15lbs of baking soda, 24 lbs of calcium hydrate, 4 lbs of CYA (Walmart still had some pool chemicals left or I would only have been able to adjust TA)

30 Aug AM. I almost hit my targets I need another pound of calcium hydrate to get to 275 and I know not to test CYA until later in the week

FC 8.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 20 (not tested)
Temp 76
CSI -.23

So we were fortunate our only major concern was 4 ways into our area quickly became one country road in and out. We didn't flood and the house stayed dry. Watching the news and reading the internet it is amazing to see all of Houston coming together to help out.

I had to drain the pool several times, and a couple times I couldn't drain faster than the rain was filling it and it overflowed, getting runoff/dirt into it. It was a brown/green mess when the rain stopped.

My post-Harvey readings were almost all 0, but pH was somehow still 7.6. NO stores that I could get into had bleach, so I had to go with some cal-hypo that one small hardware store had 2 jugs of. Figured it was ok since my CH was almost non-existent. Really had no other option.

So I'm blasting the pool with cal-hypo, running pump 24/7, and I'm at a semi-cloudy blue stage. Also threw a few trichlor pucks in my chlorinator to get CYA. I can finally see how much dirt there is on the bottom :(

Will switch to bleach once stores have it in stock again. Also need to get some baking soda to get my TA back up. What a mess.

Pre-Harvey I remembered to buy bleach, but forgot acid and salt. Hope Homedepot opens soon.

No pre-numbers, but post test numbers are:

FC = .5
CC = 0
CH = 225
TA = 30
Salt = 1600
CYA =? ran out of test chemicals. :-(
PH = seemed to be 8.2, but one drop of acid demand changed the color to 6.8 ?!?! Doesn't make sense.

Pool is about 17,500, SWG. I will use poolmath and test again.

Need to order another test kit, but don't know when postal service will be running again.

If anyone has any advice, let me know.

So pre Harvey
FC (within range)
CH 275
TA 100
CYA 70
pH 7.8 (and was fighting to get it down)
temp 90

post Harvey (First time since Thursday I was able to test was this am)
FC 7 (I think during the course of the storm I added 2 bottles of clorox, and forgot until looking at my results that I had put 5 pucks in the chlorinator before the storm)
CH 125
TA 30
CYA 30
pH 7.2
temp 76

we got over 40" of rain. The highest the pool got was to the bottom of our coping. In addition to the overflow drain, we opened the spigot above the pump and ran a hose to the curb. I've got baking soda on hand, but will have to wait until the lines at the stores and the roads improve to get CA.

Nice to see my numbers are in line with everyone else. I was shocked at how much some things dropped (like TA, CH & CYA!), but even more stunned that I still had FC after that long. Though the 5 completely sunless day probably did help!

Before Harvey: (Thurs 8/24)
FC: 12
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 60
CH: 260
CYA: 70
Temp: 93
CSI: 0.03

30+" and 5 completely SUNLESS days later...
(including 1 trip out in a light rain to empty the VISIBLY overflowing skimmers and add 2 gals of bleach (+8ppm) & all the baking soda I had left (1/5 of a large bag?))

FC: 4.5
CC: .5
pH: 7.6
TA: 40
CH: 160
CYA: 30
Temp: 72-75
CSI: -.66

The worst we had was ~6 inches in a hour and the pool never overflowed. Got pretty close to the bottom of the coping, but thankfully didn't go over!

Pool stores still aren't open, so had to settle for pucks in the chlorinator to help with CYA for the time being. Grabbed some bleach and baking soda from HEB.

I haven't actually been out of the neighborhood yet. We are sandwiched by White Oak Bayou the North, and have Cypress Creek a mile to the South. Schools are canceled for the week so I am here with the kiddos. I work over by Cypress Creek. Our office is rumored to have in the ballpark of 6-7 ft of water on the 1st floor. Eek! 20 years here and the office has only ever flooded once before (Tax Day floods - we were fine for Allison, and Ike, and Memorial Day). May be a while before we are back in. I am just glad we are all safe, high, and dry. And incredibly thankful for HEB! They are open for limited hours (9am-3pm), but trucks are starting to flow in. Hopefully I'll even manage to find some bread tomorrow!

I had to drain the pool several times, and a couple times I couldn't drain faster than the rain was filling it and it overflowed, getting runoff/dirt into it. It was a brown/green mess when the rain stopped.

My post-Harvey readings were almost all 0, but pH was somehow still 7.6. NO stores that I could get into had bleach, so I had to go with some cal-hypo that one small hardware store had 2 jugs of. Figured it was ok since my CH was almost non-existent. Really had no other option.

So I'm blasting the pool with cal-hypo, running pump 24/7, and I'm at a semi-cloudy blue stage. Also threw a few trichlor pucks in my chlorinator to get CYA. I can finally see how much dirt there is on the bottom :(

Will switch to bleach once stores have it in stock again. Also need to get some baking soda to get my TA back up. What a mess.
Oh,RePhil - so sorry to hear this. We bought a sump pump at Lowe's (thank god) that pumped 70 gal a minute out. I know exactly what you are talking about!

We received 39" of rain at our house. No flooding. My pool has an overflow drain and the water level stayed at the top of the drain grate for three days. Besides a lot of foliage in the bottom that I am working to get out, there seems to be few ill effects.

Before:
FC: 5
pH: Somewhere between 7.5 and 8.0 (It has risen quickly all summer due to resurfacing)
TA: 90
CH: 290
CYA: 35
BOR: 40

Today (Just got around to checking everything since the pool stayed bright blue):
FC: 4
pH: Dead on 8.0
TA: 60
CH: 190
CYA: 20
BOR: 24

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.