Post Quartzscape Plaster Shopping List for Post Filling

hollywoodfrodo

Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
Lakewood, CA
So, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole startup process. Soooo much information on here - all very GREAT stuff for which I'm very appreciative! But I'm hoping to break things down into manageable chunks so I don't lose my mind. :confused:

First order of business - go buy all the chemicals and things I'm gonna need to have on hand after the pool gets filled up for the first time. (I'm assuming my PB will have the initial chemicals, but after that...)

I do already have my TF-100 Test Kit + Salt Water Testing Kit (though I realize salt won't be added until after 30 days). I also have the Whale Tale Brush that I ordered with the test kit. I have no chemicals. I live in SoCal so have access to tons of stores - HARDWARE: Lowe's, Home Depot, Orchard Supply Hardware; GROCERY: Ralph's, Von's, Albertsons; RETAIL: Walmart, Target; DISCOUNT: 99cent store, Dollar General, Big Lots. DRUGSTORE: Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS; POOL SUPPLY: Leslie's; WAREHOUSE: Costco.

So, If I can get a list of what I need as well as suggestions on best brand or % to look for and any recommendations on best place to buy, I'd appreciate it!

SURE I will help you spend your money!!!

Chlorine-Do you have a pool store that is easy to get to? Ask them if they sell liquid chlorine. You might have to put a deposit down on the yellow jugs but it make life easy. Use chlorine take back and get a refill. It should be around 11%. If that is a no go you can use Walmart's "Pool Shock" it is 10%. Next would be Target's house brand bleach at 8.25%. If you use bleach make sure it is PLAIN bleach-no pretty smells, NO germshilds or such, no splashless, etc.

Muriatic Acid-31% at Lowes or Home Depot. Kept outside. Now you also need to think about WHERE you will be keeping it. It cannot be very close to chlorine as they do not play well together. Nor can it be by metal as it can cause rust. Any where outside you can put it in a plastic something? I have a link or two if you need some ideas. Just let me know.

2 2 cup measuring cups, plastic-one for your m. acid. The other for everything else. Make sure they have the oz listed.

White, plastic plate-to hold up behind the pH test tube. It will make the color matching easier.

Think about getting a manual vacuum and hose. I think every pool should have one for if/when you want to do a spot vacuum AND you should not use wheels on the new plaster for about 30 days.

That should keep you busy for a couple of mins! Happy shopping.

Oh and when shopping for chlorine/bleach make sure it is kept inside out of the heat and direct sun. It will degrade over time. Also learn how to read the date stamps. You do not want your chlorine to be older than 3 months.

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Kim! That's a great place to start. Our package from the PB has a vacuum and hose, but I'll have to double check and make sure it doesn't have wheels.

I'll pick up Chlorine and Muriatic Acid and the other accessories you mentioned, then go from there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.