Possible to deepen pool?

jmw13

Jun 1, 2019
Houston
I have been lurking for a while now. We have a pre-existing 15 year old Gunite pool and spa in our back yard that goes from 3 feet to 6 feet deep. The pool is 36 feet long by 11 feet to 15 feet white based on the free form not including the spa. The three foot shallow end is too shallow for our family, as we are all above average height for our respective ages. My family really wants a true deep end for a slide or jumping and diving. The pool is getting used less by family and friends because of the lack of a deep end and because it is too shallow. We need to remodel the pool soon to fix a bond beam issue, plaster, heaving coping, and falling tiling. We have been getting bids for the work, but I am beginning to wonder if it is possible to change the pool depth so that it goes from 4 to 8. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever done this? Thank you in advance your input!

It's very doable. Given your description above though I wonder if a better choice is to just demo the pool completely and have a new proper one built in its place. The spa could stay so long as it doesn't have issues now.

I think you'll be surprised that the cost of adding depth to your existing vs complete demo are not far off.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Thank you for your response. The shape and location are fine it is just the depth (which is what made me think about it). It sounds like a demo may be the way to go though. I just was not sure whether I should be asking pool remodeling companies about deepening or whether I should be speaking with the builder side of the companies about demo and a new build (it seems some people with the companies we have spoken to so far specialize in remodels while other individuals at the companies specialize in new builds).

And thank you Joyful Noise for bumping the thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.