Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I bought a home and as a first time pool owner, had the pool re-plastered in 2017 with QuartzScapes Tahoe Blue with 7 year warranty. From the day it was installed, I felt it was not done correctly. I saw a lot of mottling (blue dye swirls) early on, some Crocodile skin looking patterns (diamond shaped shading), and some really small cracks. My Calcium Hardness has always been really high as well (close to 1000ppm before I drained it, and now at 600ppm when my water source is at 50ppm). I had the rep come out in the first 6 months and he told me this was all normal and that the mottling was disclosed as a risk in the agreement. Nothing was compromising the integrity of the plaster. I was young and naive back then, so I just went along. I just got used to the fact that my pool looked stained and imperfect because I chose the lower end plaster in the quartzscapes series.

Fast foward. Very recently I had a pool electrician comment that my plaster "stains' were not normal and likely did not cure correctly when it was installed. I then turned on the lights at night and found what looked like the surface of the moon (craters, volcanos, etc). Ok, not that bad, but did see what looked like small divots and what looked like blistering. I've followed the TFP method for the last 6 years. No issues with algae, ever, and my pool has always been in the recommended CSI range. Only issue was the high Calcium (which I am attributing to calcium leaching) and low TA (keeps normalizing at 50ppm), which I would offset with a little lower PH. What I didn't do normally is brush and vaccum the pool. I let my Polaris do that and would brush and vacuum once a month or so.

I called the plaster installer to claim my plaster warranty. But I know they are going to ask for water balance reports, which I don't have because I've always taken care of my pool.

1. Based on the pictures attached and story above, do I have a chance at a warranty claim? Has anyone been successful in making a claim using the TFP method?
2. Is there any evidence you see that I can show the plaster guy that it was an installation issue?
3. Is my plaster bad? Or is this just visually suboptimal. I've lived with the unsightly stains this long, I can keep going. Should I re-plaster, or just look to patch the divots that are starting to appear?

Thanks and sorry for the multiple questions
Picture 1 is the pool during the day. Picture 2 is a section of the plaster at night. Hopefully the resolution allows you to see the divots, etc.

Attachments

• Pool plaster 1.jpg
    Pool plaster 1.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 21
  • Pool plaster 2.jpg
    Pool plaster 2.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 21
Don't waste your time and energy.

Your plaster gets a C+ for quality but there is nothing there to demand a redo after 6 years.

Reactions: Hosertx
I just got used to the fact that my pool looked stained and imperfect because I chose the lower end plaster in the quartzscapes series
If it helps any, they would have applied any of them unevenly. To be fair, its truly an artists craft, and there will always be some level of hand troweled imperfection.

But you got more than your fair share of 'character', as we like to call it.

Reactions: Hosertx
Thanks. It does make me feel a little better that this may just be par (or bogey) for the course.

If imperfections will always exist, is there a particular color folks should consider (or stay away from) to hide these? In hindsight, if I would have known this light blue color was going to be so susceptible to trowel marks, mottling and staining, I would have picked a different color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.