May 14, 2018
Attleboro, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

Apologies in advanced as I am very new to owning a pool and I am sorry if any of this is basic knowledge. To start off I had an above ground pool installed last July 2017 and used it through August and then had the pool professionally closed as it was my first closing and i wanted to watch how it was done for the future. Fast forward to today. I was getting ready to open my pool for the summer and was concerned with a possible leak as it seemed like a lot of water was gone from the winter(obviously there are some basic reason pumping water off the cover, rain snow pressure on the cover etc). In order to check as I am nervous I put my hose in the pool and filled the water to just at the bottom of the skimmer line(see picture with red marker mark) this was at about 7:30pm last night I woke up went to work and when i got home took the second picture of the skimmer without the redmark and there is a fairly drastic IMO lose of water in 24. I have not pumped any water off my cover between picture 1 and picture 2, in addition since my pool is still winterized the pump/filter are not running so there is no water movement outside of wind.

To follow this up I live in southern Massachusetts. today we had clear skies but the temperature was only about 70-75*F so not too hot. Could this water lose be from normal evaporation even though there is no pump running and my winter cover is still on, Is there any other normal explanation or is this most likely a leak. I have been in contact with who installed my pool but without having my pool opened yet not much he can do. But as it is installation of new pools if there is a potential leak i want to make sure i have someone scheduled to come in ASAP. In addition if this is a slow leak is this something that i can leave and fix middle to end of this summer as i would rather not drain my pool and refill in mid jun/july.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. and I have read only .25 inches of water lose a day is average but i assume that is in the summer with a pump running.

There are holes in my winter cover... so water leakest through from the pool to on the cover. Not to mention there is a good amount of water on my cover as i didnt want to pump and risk losing water due to pumping(until i remove the cover).

not to mention any water lose from on top of my cover would take weight off the water and it would go down. But do you think that much water lose is small for a single day in 70-75F weather? wind i am not sure i will check with neighbor how windy it was today(I was inside at work all day(about 40 miles away)).

added new pictures to be small enough to have a picture of my cover also.

Attachments

• water level 14may18.jpg
    water level 14may18.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 26
  • water level 13may18.jpg
    water level 13may18.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 26
  • pool cover 14may18.jpg
    pool cover 14may18.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 26
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.