Possible leak?

Jun 7, 2015
Wamego/KS
I noticed a few weeks ago that whenever my pump shut off the water in the pump basket would start emptying. Not all the way, but it would empty to about half full. Pump is on a timer and when it is time to come back on, it takes about 45 seconds for it to prime. There are some bubbles that come out of returns for about the first 20 seconds after it gets running, but no bubbles in the basket and it stays full. I found a small leak in the fitting that connects to my pump where the water is brought in from the pool. Now when pump turns off the basket is still emptying down about 2-3 inches. Not as much as before, but it's not staying full when off. I am assuming there is still a small leak somewhere? I don't see any visible drips or leaks. I do hear some gurgling near the multi port pump and have noticed some slight dripping coming from my waste/backwash pipe, which I don't recall ever happening when in filter position. Could it be a bad spider gasket? Would recommend any suggestions on what to try next.

Spider gasket is the next step. Sounds like it's letting air in so the filter drains baclwards through the pump to the pool and probably all the way to water level in the pipes. So it takes a long time to prime and there's a lot of air to purge when it does start.

When it's running well, cap the waste port with a rubber glove or a piece of plastic wrap and a rubber band. I'll betcha it sucks the glove in when it's off. If so, then you know.

Spider gasket is the next step. Sounds like it's letting air in so the filter drains baclwards through the pump to the pool and probably all the way to water level in the pipes. So it takes a long time to prime and there's a lot of air to purge when it does start.

When it's running well, cap the waste port with a rubber glove or a piece of plastic wrap and a rubber band. I'll betcha it sucks the glove in when it's off. If so, then you know.
Just did the glove test and sure enough it sucked the glove in when shut off. However, I also noticed a leak coming from the plug in the attached picture. Could it be that this O ring is also bad?

Attachments

• 7144E091-F4D8-4E0F-873A-6A43A1847826.jpeg
    7144E091-F4D8-4E0F-873A-6A43A1847826.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.