Possible leak or a pump issue?

Splaker

Jan 17, 2016
Canada
Since last year, we have had issues with our in ground pool. It is a 17,000 gallon (approximate). The problem is being able to get the pool pump going. Prime starts up but water has trouble coming into the pump. The pump is elevated several feet from pool. The elevation could be contributing but it worked fine for the first 3 seasons we owned this Penntair VS pump. We got it going yesterday after many tries. This successful attempt required plugging the skimmer while the pump was priming to build up lots of suction. We also closed the valve at the pump. It got priming and ran for a few hours then lost prime. Last year we had a leak detection company come in to find a leak. They fixed one apparent leak but that ultimately didn't correct the problem. We couldn't afford to bring them in for more detection attempts (very expensive). I got the system working last year but It took great effort (did the plugging technique). Is this a pump issue or is there likely a leak? Is there a product we can dump into our skimmer to perhaps seal any leaks in the system? Any ideas? Elevation? What else could it be.

Do you have a main drain in your pool? If so, you might want to try shutting off the skimmer and priming the pump using just the main drain. Once the pump is up and running from the main drain, you could slowly open the valve to the skimmer line. Even just partially opening the skimmer valve while you ensure prime maintains. Also, make sure that you are not low on water in your pool so that the skimmer isn't getting starved of water.

Do you have a main drain in your pool? If so, you might want to try shutting off the skimmer and priming the pump using just the main drain. Once the pump is up and running from the main drain, you could slowly open the valve to the skimmer line. Even just partially opening the skimmer valve while you ensure prime maintains. Also, make sure that you are not low on water in your pool so that the skimmer isn't getting starved of water.
I have a main drain but I am not exactly sure what you are suggesting I do. I do not believe I am able to prime the pump with the main drain. How can one do this?

And I bought a new gasket and rubbed it well... Still nothing... here are some pics and videos. Hopefully I'll give everyone a better picture...

Attachments

• 0-1.jpg
    0-1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 11
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 11
You can totally run the pump off just the main drain or you can run the pump off just the skimmer or you can run off both at the same time. Since you've alluded to issues with the skimmer line in the past, my suggestion was to just isolate that line out of the equation. So, what you need to do is turn off your skimmer line completely. Make sure that the main drain line is fully open. Add water via hose to your pump basket to fill the line as best as you can. Once done, replace lid quickly and start your pump. Before doing this, make sure you know which valve isolates your skimmer(s) so that you are closing the right one. Once you get the pump running and pump basket has no air bubbles, you can slowly open the skimmer valve to introduce a bit of water into that line. Do this slowly as you try to bleed most of the air out of your skimmer line. If you find you can't run the pump with that skimmer valve opened at all, leave it closed and you can at least still run your pool. Then you can figure out what to do with that skimmer line. You'll just have to manually skim your pool with a net for a bit until you figure it out.

How do you close the skimmer line? My drain at the bottom of the pool is a gravity type. I think laws and regs are different up here (or maybe I have no clue what I am talking about) - I don't think the drains up here are allowed to operate with a motor. A young girl died up here many years ago as her hair got entangled in the drain and since then they changed how they operate. My understanding is that they are run using some sort of natural gravity system. I may be way off with this..

For what it's worth, I'm in Canada too. I think what you are referring to is the main drain line having a singular intake on the pool floor. The singular intake did result in more water moving through that drain and as a result, pressure was greater. To alleviate this, they now split the main drain line into two intakes which reduces the pressure ultimately making it safer. This is my understanding of it anyhow. I can't speak for how they plumb these in American pools but I suspect it's not any different.

Last edited:
I can't really tell from the pics that you sent but the pvc pipe that feeds the water to your pump should get feed from both your skimmer and your main drain. On my pool these are both run directly back to the equipment pad and from there feed into the pump. Each line has valves on them so that I can isolate one or the other. On older pools they used to run the main drain from the skimmer line. I'm not really sure what your setup is and I couldn't tell from the photos that you sent. Do you know if your main drain is plumbed back to the equipment pad or not?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By the way, my pool was set up in 1999, although we inherited it in 2015. So I believe that the main drain and the skimmer line are combined? Is this possible? Because I cannot see a valve that will allow me to isolate. Let me have another look...

Yes, it's very possible that they are combined and in that case, you can't isolate like I've suggested as you only have one pvc line between your pump and the skimmer location. My pool isn't that new but it's newer than yours and I believe it's more common in later years to plumb pools in this way. If you had two lines it was a suggestion to help you rule out the skimmer line.

Someone else may have some ideas to help you .....

Some of you who posted on my previous thread about the priming issues I'm having are aware of my situation. Next step is we need to call in another leak detection company (did this last year unfortunately... problem persists) but they won't come until August. So, our season is pretty much a write off after we spent a whack of money to change the liner this spring..

We are going away in a few days for 3 weeks. Given that the pool is filled with water, should I be getting someone to come by and dump chlorine in it? I am worried about algae growth, insects, etc... I can readily get my hands on 12% chlorine. I did this in the past (last summer) while trying to get the pool up and running. But I am am concerned that the new liner can be bleached if the stuff is suddenly dumped in. A friend has volunteered to skim the pool and even drop my Polaris to clean the bottom while we are gone.

What else can be done to keep it from getting to icky while we are gone?

Thanks...

So it does not prime. Water cannot circulate. This started last spring, 2021. But I eventually got it going. It seems to have gotten worse. A real pain. We have dumped so much money into this pool. We bought the house with the pool. Out kids have enjoyed it immensely. But if someone were to ask me if they should put in a pool, I'd say no way! They are money pits

Please post some pics of your pool and the equipment pad from a couple different angles. Also be sure to check the following:
- Pump clear lid O-ring lubed well with pool silicone. (drain plug(s) too).
- Water level at least 1/2 way up the skimmer(s)
- All 3-way valves in open position. Check for leaks with water.
- Skimmer (weir) door moving easily and not getting stuck closed.

Below is a link that may also help. Let's see if we can get this resolved before you leave. If not, you'll want to see if you can get a submersible pump that can move a little bit of water and help mix the chlorine that someone will be adding for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.