Possible leak due to colder weather?

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
We had our pool remodeled this past summer. Before work began we knew we had a leak and prior to work beginning the contractor did all kinds of leak tests and discovered a leak by one of the returns. He said he fixed it and work began. Since then the water level remained constant with no problems. Last week though we started having some below freezing weather here in north central Florida. No rain much this winter. I started noticing the water line getting a little lower by the skimmer. Sunday night it got to 32 degrees around 11:00 pm and did not get above freezing till around 8 in the am. I made sure the pump stayed running, covered exposed pipes, and did not see any signs of water around the pump pad. Last night in the 30’s and 40’s. My question is last night I filled water to a certain tile level and this morning it had gone down about an inch. Is it possible that if this contractor “fixed” this leak with some sort of putty or compound that the colder weather / pool water could somehow cause it to fail and allow the leak to resume?

Before we make too many assumptions about the previous work done on the return, can you update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info? Also post a couple pics of your equipment pad and a wide shot of the entire pool. Sometimes a picture says a thousand words and may give us more to go on.

Before we make too many assumptions about the previous work done on the return, can you update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info? Also post a couple pics of your equipment pad and a wide shot of the entire pool. Sometimes a picture says a thousand words and may give us more to go on.
I tried to upload as much info that I thought might be relevant. The spiderweb of plumbing was done so we could run either pool or spa with the heater due to them being on separate systems. I do think there is a problem though. Water dropped about an inch overnight. It has been cold here lately but I noticed the spa stayed the same level overnight though. I am filling the pool up today fairly high and will just see where it settles over the next several days. We just had the new Pentair pump installed a few weeks ago. My first thought was maybe the fix that was done for the prior leak had failed due to first winter since repair but don’t know. Thx.

Attachments

• 635BC8C3-0CC1-4E44-802F-6D0A6898858D.jpeg
    635BC8C3-0CC1-4E44-802F-6D0A6898858D.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 23
  • B38FA39D-4718-4B52-BCCE-EDF689E6B02B.jpeg
    B38FA39D-4718-4B52-BCCE-EDF689E6B02B.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 22
  • EDB6FA4F-E553-410D-B145-DFABD02C3D10.jpeg
    EDB6FA4F-E553-410D-B145-DFABD02C3D10.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D3074136-B3D3-427E-B885-2FB0DEC314BC.jpeg
    D3074136-B3D3-427E-B885-2FB0DEC314BC.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 21
Wow. The pipe maze on that pad gives me a headache. :crazy: I don't see anything on the pad that would contribute to water loss that you wouldn't otherwise see. Still seems odd that a repair below ground would fail in cold weather since the soil should provide adequate protection. But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Don't rule-out the possibility of a new leak developing though. The pool light (niche) or around the skimmer are possibilities. If you have a main drain, I suspect you have a hydrostatic valve, so it might have become defective or gotten jammed with some junk around the seal. We'll watch for updates though.

Wow. The pipe maze on that pad gives me a headache. :crazy: I don't see anything on the pad that would contribute to water loss that you wouldn't otherwise see. Still seems odd that a repair below ground would fail in cold weather since the soil should provide adequate protection. But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Don't rule-out the possibility of a new leak developing though. The pool light (niche) or around the skimmer are possibilities. If you have a main drain, I suspect you have a hydrostatic valve, so it might have become defective or gotten jammed with some junk around the seal. We'll watch for updates though.
Thank you will keep monitoring this
Are you currently running the heater for the pool or is that just for the spa? I have lost a ton of water the past few days from evaporation. I think there's a test you can do (bucket test?) to see if you actually have a leak or it's just evaporation.
I am not running the heater at all so maybe it’s common for this area of Fla to lose a lot of water with the cold weather. I will keep monitoring it and post updates, thx

Ok so from last night to this morning another 1/2 to 1” loss. I ran the pump, waterfall feature off and temps in the 40’s to low 50’s. This morning I did a die leak test around all returns including one previously repaired and no drifting dye toward them. However, when I put a drop near where the weir door of the skimmer is, it appeared that it wanted to gravitate to the bottom edge of the skimmer, sneaking down between the bottom of the weir door and the housing. Any suggestions on this fix? This is a picture looking down at the bottom of the skimmer. Is that a tiny hole on the left or am I just imagining things?

Attachments

• F98B6B56-CECA-4A29-A11F-5F214E73383E.jpeg
    F98B6B56-CECA-4A29-A11F-5F214E73383E.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 11
Let the water level drop and see where it stops. That indicates the level of the leak.

Ok so update. For sure not due to evaporation. Did bucket test. 24 hrs overnight lost about 2”. Did die test today around the skimmer but did not see any drawn in. After this weekend and temps warm up a bit I will shut off pump and see where it settles. A side note though...crazy as it sounds my spa water level increased an inch or so. Even if the pool water somehow found its way into the spa, 2 inches from the pool would probably overspill the spa. They are on two separate systems although somewhat connected I guess thru the heater and valve setup. All the valves though have not changed in months so I know that’s not an issue. Crazy stuff!

That is odd. :scratch: Don't let the water level drop too far below the skimmer though. Maybe a foot or so, but not too far to where you risk the shell shifting. If it continues to drop that far, it may be related to a return, the pool light, or the drain's hydrostatic valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is odd. :scratch: Don't let the water level drop too far below the skimmer though. Maybe a foot or so, but not too far to where you risk the shell shifting. If it continues to drop that far, it may be related to a return, the pool light, or the drain's hydrostatic valve.
Ok...the bottom of the pool light is about two feet below the tile line. I should be ok with that right? Won’t go below bottom of light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.