Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I attached some pictures of the completed project as well as a few build photos I found. Long story short, the wet deck has a bubbler with a built in LED Jandy light, this version: Nicheless LED Pool Lights | Jandy

After the build was complete, the light in the bubbler started fading quite a bit, until the point where it wouldn't turn on. The project was completed in late September, so by the time we found out about the issue, we were closing the pool for the winter and were told it would be addressed in the spring. They sent a crew out to replace the light, they unscrewed it from the PVC, but then pulled so hard on it trying to get it to come out that they broke the light loose from the wire. They went to the junction box and tried to pull the wire out that way and it would not budge. They suspect the conduit is crushed somewhere. I put an inspection camera in the pipe and can see the wire broke clean on the wet deck end, so there's nothing on that end that would prevent it from sliding through. I would guess it's about a 90' run. From what I can see, there's exactly 360 degrees of conduit angle, so I don't believe they violated the "four 90's rule".

At this point, it's turned into a finger pointing blame game. The company we paid for the pool is blaming the contractor they had install the pool, he's blaming the hardscaper for crushing the conduit, and the hardscaper is saying that's "impossible". I'm not sure anyone will take on responsibility for the replacement of the light.

I tried pushing a fishtape through the wet deck end and it got jammed up pretty good at about 3', but that doesn't necessarily mean anything as I know it can be very difficult to push a tape through conduit with existing wires. . My hunch is the pool installer did not allow enough room for the conduit in the gravel bed when they dropped in the wet deck and it kinked the conduit. You can see in the build photos that there isn't any room for for the conduit, but that's also true for the PVC, and there's no issue with the bubbler, so I could be wrong.

I really can't see any simple way of fixing this. There's a 4' concrete base around the pool and wet deck, so removal of the wet deck isn't as simple as just removing the pavers. I'm hoping someone here has a good idea for a simple fix. It's just a light, so at the end of the day it's not a huge deal if I can't get it to work, it's just really disappointing and without the light, the whole pool area just seems like something is missing when it's not lit up, but maybe that's just my opinion.

Attachments

• Photo_6619179_DJI_43_jpg_5546718_0_20211179022_photo_original (1)-min.jpg
    Photo_6619179_DJI_43_jpg_5546718_0_20211179022_photo_original (1)-min.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210828_114032-min.jpg
    20210828_114032-min.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210728_162959-min.jpg
    20210728_162959-min.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210725_193832-min.jpg
    20210725_193832-min.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210725_193802-min.jpg
    20210725_193802-min.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Shame you're going through this, but odd things do happen in large construction projects. Nice of you to consider "living with it", but there will always be a part of you that regrets not getting it fixed now if possible. You made a large investment, so it should be right - in the beginning anyways. I would think the seller of the pool, or the main contractor who contracts the subs, should make this right. The other consideration is not disturbing your shell now that it's been locked into place since last fall. It will be a mess though, having to break any decking to find the suspect area. I wonder if someone out there has a device that can get images from above rather than trying to push a scope through the line? @Poolbreh what do you think?

90’ is a long run, it takes the smallest resistance on one end to make the pull difficult on the other. I could pinch the wire with two fingers on one end and it would be impossible to pull the other end. You can try squirting some wire pulling lubricant into the conduit and let it work over night and see if you can get the wire out. If you get it out you can use the camera to see if there is a hard 90 or pinched conduit.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.