Possible contamination of pool water through antifouling paint

KateRI

Jul 13, 2022
RI
Hello,
A "boat bottom" paint was used by a family member to paint my pool steps this off season. Every time we go into the water it leaves blue paint all over our skin, and it is very difficult to get the blue off. Advice has been to avoid touching the pool steps and to avoid getting it on our skin. I am planning to drain and have it re-painted but was not planning to do so until the off season if possible.

Safety data that I can find seems to relate to the paints application. Does anyone know anything about the safety of this paint with regards to it possibly breaking down and seeping into the pool water? I am concerned for the safety of my kids, ages 4 and 7, at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The SDS list all the known hazards when the paint is used for its intended purpose. Painting anything swimming-pool related doesn't seem to be one of those purposes. It is probably reacting to pool chemicals, which aren't in water that boats operate in.

If it is deteriorating so soon after application to the point it leaves a residue on your skin when touched, it will continue to be released into the water. At the very least it could foul your filter, but I wouldn't want to be in the pool with an unknown chemical. While it is never wise to "drink" pool water, you can't help but get some in your mouth, especially kids.

Reactions: KateRI
Some Anti fouling paints are designed to slough off in water exposing fresh layers of algecides and biocides that are in the paint mix. This helps to keep the boat free of organic growths etc. Not a good idea to use in my opinion.

This article may help: Which Bottom Paint Should I Use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.