Possible black algae?

Dave31410

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Savannah, GA
I have read that it is not as likely on a vinyl surface but I think this is black algae. I brush it off and it reappears in the same spots a couple of days later. Water remains clear. Is any algaecide recommended or just more chlorine and brushing?
FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 60

Attachments

• algae 001.jpg
    algae 001.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 34
On further investigation it does appear to be dead algae. I went into the pool with a diving mask for a closer look. It brushed away easily by hand. The place where it settles is in the deep end near the corner. There is a return on the opposite wall pointed slightly down and towards the end wall so I guess it was creating a little vortex in the corner. I changed the direction of the return eyeball to see if it will have an effect.
If it is dead algae doesn't that mean that the chlorine level is effective? Do I still need to SLAM?

So those spots were "easily" removed with hand / handbrush? I may have a same issue and my son continuously brushed those spots (e.g., 2 mins each) but nothing.....just opened the pool and can't get in yet but "scary" as we installed a new liner 2 season ago. We actually had mustard / brown algae around same areas with the old liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.