Possible algae but no OCLT drop

I am also interested in the results you find after trying Vitamin C tablets on stained areas. Lots of signals pointing to iron.
After reading all the posts on here I'm thinking your previous pool "pro" has used a variety of chemicals that likely include iron and copper... maybe good to start again fresh and do this the TFP way from now on.

Merry Christmas all!

Chris

OCLT Sun into Mon morning
FCL - 19ppm
CCL - 0.5ppm

Mon 5.30am
FCL - 16.5ppm
CCL - 0-0.5ppm

Not sure if FC drop is significant enough? CC still around 0-0.5.

Visibility is improving ever so slightly, it's def less grinchy green now.

20221226_062752.jpg

After a 100% refill the water should look much better

maybe good to start again fresh
Is the suggestion a complete drain and fill?

Last edited:

Well here's the thing and my thinking. I may have missed something but here's where I think you are:
  • I think you indicated for many attempts that you only SLA'd.
  • The completion criteria have never been met:
    • CC is 0.5 or lower
    • AND you pass an OCLT (i.e. overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
    • AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
  • Your previous pool service added chemicals that you may not know about.
  • Your pool looks pretty bad, definitely worse than when you started but maybe better than in the middle of this thread.
I've see pools worse than this fixed to almost clear in days with a real and complete SLAM. But with the strong possibility of metals including iron and copper if it were me I'd rather start fresh and never wonder what was put in my pool. TFP doesn't need expensive magic potions and works best with credible test results from a recommended test kit. When you think you may have metals you have to resort to pool store tests, or some very expensive test equipment, or expensive 3rd party labs. Not saying you can't clear it up just saying if it were me, I'd start fresh. Even if I could get it clear it would bug me never knowing what was in the water. If you do go with the fresh start you should always be able to rely on easy peasey TFP methods for an absolutely sparkling pool at dirt cheap cost.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

PS Slam video link:
SLAM video link

Well here's the thing and my thinking. I may have missed something but here's where I think you are:
  • I think you indicated for many attempts that you only SLA'd.
  • The completion criteria have never been met:
    • CC is 0.5 or lower
    • AND you pass an OCLT (i.e. overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
    • AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
  • Your previous pool service added chemicals that you may not know about.
  • Your pool looks pretty bad, definitely worse than when you started but maybe better than in the middle of this thread.
I've see pools worse than this fixed to almost clear in days with a real and complete SLAM. But with the strong possibility of metals including iron and copper if it were me I'd rather start fresh and never wonder what was put in my pool. TFP doesn't need expensive magic potions and works best with credible test results from a recommended test kit. When you think you may have metals you have to resort to pool store tests, or some very expensive test equipment, or expensive 3rd party labs. Not saying you can't clear it up just saying if it were me, I'd start fresh. Even if I could get it clear it would bug me never knowing what was in the water. If you do go with the fresh start you should always be able to rely on easy peasey TFP methods for an absolutely sparkling pool at dirt cheap cost.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

PS Slam video link:
SLAM video link
Thanks mate, I'll def look into it and consider this. Would also help to be able to either acid wash or resolve paint/plaster issues.

Either algae or metals. What happens when you rub a vitamin C tablet against those stains on the walls?

Yes! Vit C tablets clearing up the stains where I rubbed!!. But stains are across almost entire walls so might need a warehouse of vit C tablets 😂. Will look up procedures to attack this. Seen some metallic stain removal solutions available.
Thanks!

OCLT still showing no significant FC drop and CC 0-0.5ppm. Pool looking clearer today but still very slightly cloud and a greenish tinge. Needs a brush/vacuum today.

Should I keep the SLAM going. The dark green colour when I started wouldn't be caused by Iron/Metals would it? Meaning there was also an algae issue?

Maybe, keep SLAM going until pool is clear, then treat the stains? The metal stains could be impurities from Salt?

If it's reacting to vit C, then it's iron. Which also likely caused the green water. If you're not loosing chlorine over night, then let FC come down. But make sure to not let it drop too low. Once FC and pH are down, the colour should improve.

Main source for iron is fill water, especially when using well water. Not sure about salt as the source. Maybe.

To get rid of iron stains, you can do an ascorbic acid treatment as described here:

But because this requires getting FC down to zero, I would not tackle this in the heat of summer, that's just asking for algae to move in. Besides, I wouldn't want to be the one telling the kids. So, that's probably more something to tackle after summer.

But the ascorbic acid just removes the stains, the iron will just change form and stay in the water. You can then either start using sequestering agents to keep the iron dissolved in the water, but you'd be stuck with sequestration forevermore. Or drain the pool and refill. Some folks seems to have had some success with filtering some iron out with polyfill in the skimmer

Reactions: scar4ace
Thanks, pool is def clearer after FC and pH come down to normal levels. It's not sparkling blue but I'm guessing those stains and dissolved iron playing a large part.

Thanks for all the help in identifying issue, I'll consider options for iron/stain removals.

OCLT Sun into Mon morning
FCL - 19ppm
CCL - 0.5ppm

Mon 5.30am
FCL - 16.5ppm
CCL - 0-0.5ppm

Not sure if FC drop is significant enough? CC still around 0-0.5.

Visibility is improving ever so slightly, it's def less grinchy green now.

View attachment 466373

Just note that you are losing a bunch of chlorine going from 19ppm down to 16.5ppm. So something is eating it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, keep SLAM going and then after SLAM is complete by meeting all three requirements stay on the high target. After that stay within TFP recommendations an you'll have a true Trouble Free Pool forever with no more excursions. Easy Peasy!

Just to complete my comment, I think your pool is finally looking like a SLAM may clear it up and if it does you're still good. But if it were me I'd plan to do a complete exchange as soon as you can so you know what you're starting with. This way you don't have to do that when something crops up on short notice in the future that confirms you're pool service put a chemical in that's on our "not recommended" list. But I'm pretty ocd about my pool so this may not be the way you want to go. This is something you'll hear a lot here. Many pool decisions are more driven by the OP preference and not really hard and fast "rules".

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.