pop ups not cycling-only 3 stay up working

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
We need to empty pool for some warranty work so put off backwashing pool. After a while it didn't seem like a good idea to wait so we backwashed a couple of weeks ago and last week broke down the filter and cleaned that. We weren't so happy with how it was cleaning and after opening the leaf canister noticed that there were bubbles coming out of the pop ups and the returns (if I'm saying this right-the air that blows out of the sides of the pool). I've been pushing on the pop ups with the broom as in the past we didn't backwash early enough and I was told to do that to get any pebbles out of the pop ups. Now I'm noticing that a pop up or 2 have come bubbles come out when I turn it on high and now they're the only pop ups that are working. Could there be dirt or pebbles stuck in a pop up and that would cause them to not cycle or do we need to check the equipment? pb is coming out friday to start some warrantee work so I may be able to have him check it out but I always like to be prepared as it seems a lot of guys just want to change out expensive parts when not necessary, plus, good to know for next time. thx!

Check to see what the warranty is on your infloor system. Some manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner. Your PB should take care of it for free if your system has a long enough warranty.

As for the bubbles coming out of the pop-ups, sounds like the leaf canister oring needs to be cleaned and re-lubed.

Hi Gene, Thx. I'm waiting to hear back from PB but from the paperwork I reviewed cleaning system only warranteed 3 yrs. :( Underground plumbing 5 yrs. I still think the prob is from having pebbles stuck in system from not backwashing in time since it happened to us once when pool was new yrs ago. From what I remember they came out at the time and used a tool to take out and clean the heads that had dirt or pebbles in them. I think they just had to take out a couple. From what I remember the head/s sticking caused it to not cycle, but my memory might certainly be wrong. We relubed the oring and still seeing a little bit of bubbles, but not as much, so either lube job not done 100% or maybe due to dirt stuck?

thx much.

pb was going to come out tomorrow to look at the gear set as he said somexs a leaf gets caught in it. I was told he's no longer working at company and they would want to send a company to take care of it with water in the pool. I haven't gotten the price yet. Any feedback on if we should check the gearset first? I'm being told 2 different things. I also don't understand why the pop ups have to be checked with water in the pool. I thought it'd be much easier without water in the pool. We empty the pool on Monday. thx

There shouldn't be a reason that debris is getting passed your filter and into your IFCS if the filter is doing its job. Check you DE grids to be sure there aren't any holes or rips in them. If there are, you will need to replace at least those grids with damage.

You can check the gear set yourself. You can also remove each popup if you have the necessary removal tool - which you should have anyway. You can check all this with the pool empty - but you won't be able to blow out the popup feed lines without water in the pool. When removed, check each popup for proper function. Each one should extend and retract without sticking.

My recommendation is to check it all now to see if anything is stuck in the gear set or popups. Then test the system out when the pool is full. If it still doesn't work, start looking thru each item again and allow the pump to push water out of each popup fitting with the popup removed.

thx Gene. PB emailed saying heads are covered but labor and the actuator isn't. I can't imagine the heads would need replaced so the warranty seems good for nothing in this case, although maybe the heads do fail eventually. I'll tell pool company we're going to try to fix it first and do as u said. According to my husband who broke the filter down a couple of weeks ago there were no holes. He bought a new set of filters a year ago or so. I mentioned dirt in the pop ups since I thought I recalled being told this before and we did go too long before backwashing and breaking down the filter.

I do have the tool to remove the pop ups. It's plastic and has been in our plastic pool shed for a few years so hopefully it's in good shape. last x the place came out to take pop ups out I believe the guy broke his.

Anything else I should know re taking out each head and putting them back in? will i need to hose the pop up down and clean it and the hole it came out of with a rag? Also, with the gear set, is that located in the dome that for us in by the pool, in a different location than the pump? any safeguards I should know about or just make sure to have pool off when we check? Is that also under high pressure?

I'm also wondering if the O-ring on the DE filter might need to be checked? could that cause the bubbles? I'm definitely seeing a lot of bubbles coming out of returns and I think pop ups, still (or again), when the pool turns on.

thx

I may have figured out the air bubbles, or at least in part. I asked my husband to check the o-ring and found that he put the lid on in a way where the "front" was in the wrong position. I no longer see a lot of bubbles, but perhaps some bubbles. I looked at the leaf canister and it's not full of water. It has air in it and I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I released air from the DE filter (twice which makes me think I'm going to have to check again as maybe air is still getting in if i had to do it twice. theory 1: O-ring not sealing well. theory 2: is it ok that I lowered my water level to just 1/4" above the pebble (in preparation to empty my pool Monday)? Could pump be sucking air?

thx

Chances are that you are sucking air into the skimmer since your water level is 'just 1/4" above the pebble'.

It may be better to have the PB troubleshoot and fix the IFCS. If parts aren't put back correctly, it can damage the system and cost more in the long run. Or, at the very least, have them show you how to do it.

My A&A infloor heads seem to wear out faster ever since I installed my VS pump. My theory is that when run at lower speeds, the popups don't extend and lock in the full up position causing excessive wear to the mechanism.

Since yours is from a different manufacturer, I don't know how your popups or water valve (where the gear set is) are constructed, I can't comment on their longevity. But, just like anything to do with a pool, maintanence is required and eventually parts need to be replaced.

I find I'm still being tempted to DIY somethiing that's not too risky. Is the IFCS the dome? sounds like I'll make sure not to touch that but the pop ups might be ok or do u still think I could easily damage those? Company that took out pop ups last time said they are pretty heart. Would you say that's true? thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we had acid wash done, pool refilled, pb was nice enough to check the gearset for us and we found a piece of plastic in it from one of the DE grids. Now husband telling me that last time he changed the grids, about 6 mths ago, there were some missing pieces. What's that mean, now? Where would the other ones be? Stuck in our plumbing somwhere and we'll wait for them to break down and probably end up in the gearset or make it back to the filter?

Pb seemed surprised that we have to replace it after 6 yrs as the newer paramount gearset that we have is supposed to last longer (although they r only warranteed 1 yr by manufacturer and initially we had a 3 yr warranty). It's the kind that you have to change out the whole thing. You can't just change parts. We bought the gearset at pool store who said we could return it if we bought the wrong one, then when we went to get it they said no returns, so we'll see what happens next.

Cycle now seems to be stuck in another area and the pb said they weren't turning, either.

Each pop up and the plumbing in each area was cleaned out with a hose from the guy who did the acid wash, when pool was empty. Acid wash guy thought pop ups looked to be in good shape and he didn't see any small stones or anything. We're still having bubbles coming out of the returns and a small amount out of some pop ups. Would the bubbles coming out of the returns be related to the same issue as the bubbles coming out of the pop ups or could the bubbles coming out of the pop ups be due to debris or plastic from the grids stuck somewhere or would it most definitely be due to air getting in an o-ring? hoping to troubleshoot tomorrow but any other ideas will be helpful. thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.