Pop Up Floor Cleaner System in Small Pool

I'm personally not a fan of infloor cleaners, but they work better in smaller pools if installed correctly. However, cost to benefit ratio is going to be high for a pool that small.

We have a few people that have them and maybe they will chime in.

Family member is building a 4,000 gallon in ground spa/pool. Builder wants to install a floor pop up system. Is it overkill or a good idea? Are they problematic or work well? Thanks.

It is a useless feature.

First, it increases chance for leaks, harder to open and close pool. If they are broken, very hard to fix. You can use the money to buy a pretty decent robotic cleaner, which is much easier to maintain, much better for cleaning.

I have these in floor cleaner, but almost useless, because I have the variable speed pool pump. Most time I have it run at low speed and the cleaners won’t pop up at all. I personally feel they are useless but no way to get rid of them.

Reactions: Lilypad
@yangcha1 , setup and run correctly, IFCSs can be effective. In your case, returning water through the popups is simply costing you money. If you are not using your IFCS, then you should return 100% of your water through your wall returns (if possible). Head loss will be substantially less and your VSP will run more efficiently.

if that’s not possible, yours would be an example of an IFCS that was not designed properly, IMO.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.