Pop up cleaner: what does this black dealie do ?

jbak

Apr 21, 2019
tucson
I've got a popup cleaner that came with pool. I wouldn't mind disabling it, but first I'd like to understand it better. What does this little rotating black control do ? TIA !

Attachments

• IMG_20240511_124354119_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240511_124354119_HDR.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
That is a pause control knob for the top feed water distribution valve.
Basically, it allows you to pause the popups on a zone of your choice. That zone would stay actife and the heads on that zone would stay stationary.

In almost 25 years I think i used mine once - very early on just to see what it would do.
My suggestion is don't mess with it as turning the knob could cause a leak at the O-ring seal.
The narrow end should point straight up

Does your pool have returns separate from the IFCS?
If not, just keep the IFCS operational - gearset and popups functioning.

Thx for the info ! While searching the web yesterday I saw this knob refered to as a "speed control". And I thought "speed of WHAT... water thru the popup? Speed of the pop-up cycle ? Speed of light ? What ?". Apparently speed of cycle is close.

I guess pointing up means quickest cycle (?). Painting down would be "pause" ? Other positions would slow the cycle to some degree ? There is mystery still.

My water return splits. One leg goes to a waterfall (which has a valve to shut it off), the other leg goes to the top feed. After the popup cycle ends the water comes out of the regular outlets that circulate the surface water. Whatever plumbing allows that is buried between the top feed and the regular outlets.

Thanks again for answering !

A related question... If the pop-up cycle is finished and you turn the knob down (to pause -- if that's what down means), does this effectively disable the pop-up system ?

Last edited: