brunoforestier

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2020
Denver CO
I've read several historical threads here on this topic, but still don't have a clear idea on what my next steps are.

My 4yo child has pooped in the pool. From what I can tell, it doesn't really matter what "type" of poop it is -- if the feces contacts the water, it's time to shock/SLAM.

Our indoor pool has zero (or near-zero) CYA in it. From what I read, I don't think I need it, so I haven't added it.

Now, for SLAM, the CYA/Chlorine chart (Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool) doesn't provide guidance for my low-CYA pool.

What FC level should I try and hit for a proper SLAM here?

For an indoor pool with a low CYA like yours, an FC of 10 should be adequate. As for the poop episodic, some other factors may come into play such as how long was the feces in the water, was it solid or liquid, etc. Our chemist gurus like @JoyfulNoise or @Donldson can probably give you better details.

Thanks mguzzy.

The other question -- when is it safe to get back in the pool? I'm assuming it's when FC drops to recommended levels (3ppm)? Some older threads suggest "SLAM + wait at least 24 hours" but are we talking days or weeks or ?

when is it safe to get back in the pool?

We generally follow the FC/CYA Levels for that one. As long as we don't go over the SLAM FC level it's okay. In your case, that would appear to be 10, but in your scenario I will defer to one of our chemist experts just to be safe.

It matters what type. Loose stool is a potential carrier of Crypto. While that is unlikely in a pool only used by immediate family, it is still something to take seriously. A solid sample, however, is unlikely to carry that and so shouldn't be as concerning.

For a pool running zero CYA (I don't understand why one would do that, but I digress) it is safe to swim when the FC is between 1 and 3 ppm. For a pool running a measurable CYA (for the k-2006 that's at least 30 ppm) then it is any FC between minimum and SLAM level.

As for the fecal matter: if one were to encounter a solid stool then raising to SLAM level and waiting at least an hour should be sufficient. Obviously that's different for a pool with no CYA as you can't reenter the water until it drops low enough to be safe. For a loose stool, raising to SLAM and maintaining that level for at least 24 hours is more prudent.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Normally no, but in your specific instance I would adjust it. That's because in the absence of CYA pH plays a significant role in the effectiveness of chlorine.

As you are only raising your FC to around 10 the pH test should be relatively reliable, so you can measure and adjust it without issue.

Reactions: brunoforestier

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.