Poolside sound

I went old school - I had a couple of old drive in movie speakers. I cleaned them up, put new speakers in them, and mounted them around the patio. They run back to wired set up in the garage (tuner, amp, old but serviceable PC for streaming, monitor that dose double duty as a TV). They are kind of far from the pool, so I really need to add something to the pool deck. If the spirit moves me, I may run cable out to the shed that is near the pool, and put Ethernet / wireless in the pool shed. Then I can just put a weatherproof enclosure in there and throw one of the frankencomputers in the shed, and steam wirelessly to the pool deck off of that.

-dave

I bought an Onyko network receiver http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR626-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00BLGUKDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434655804&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo that sits inside the house. I ran speaker wire out of the house to the speakers in the backyard. The receiver connects (wirelessly) to my home network and there is an Onyko Iphone app that connects to my receiver and it lets me change channels, volume, etc from the comfort of a lounge chair by the pool. It comes preloaded with apps for SiriusXM, Slacker, Spotify, Pandora, etc. It's been great not having to go into the house to change the music or turn the volume up or down.

I'm currently using a cheap Sonos alternative (cheap as in I don't have to buy a bunch of Sonos stuff, not cheap as in $2).

I have an old Onkyo receiver inside with an old Lenovo netbook on top of it, running MediaMonkey. I've got speaker cables running outside to 2 Yamaha outdoor speakers and 2 rock speakers. You control music with a free app called MediaMonkey Remote (volume/tracks/playlists/etc). The nice thing is that as long as you have:

• Any kind of Windows PC/Laptop/Netbook
  • Any receiver/amp, including a $15 Lepai
  • Any speakers you can hang under your porch
  • Any Android phone/tablet

You can have a free, outdoor wifi setup if you have this stuff laying around, or you can get most of it for under $100 (you need a wireless router, of course, but you can even connect to MM Remote outside of your home network if you do a little port forwarding).

For those needing a cheap amp:

Lepai LP-A68 Digital 2 x 15W Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM for $20

Amazon.com: Lepai LP-A68 Digital 2 x 15W Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM: Electronics

71BPzPPYH0L._SL1500_.jpg

Cheap speakers:

JBL Loft 30 100-watt, 4" two-way speakers for $35

Loft 30 - JBL US 100-watt, 4" two-way bookshelf speakers

51BISTPWPhL._SY300_.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.