Poolside Planters - show them off!

So I scored these large planters at Costco for $15 this weekend, and am trying to figure out what to put in them. I'm not really drawn to the tropical vibe, I was thinking maybe some dichondra and ornamental grass, but I'm just not sure. I've looked all over the internet, but I'd rather see things real people are having success with, you know? I'm tired of perfect Pinterest pictures.

Anyone want to show off your poolside planters or have any advice? Leaning more towards greenery rather than flowers. These are full sun all day, zone 9.

View attachment 138556
Gorgeous! What type of stone do you have?

My wife bought two planters to tie some color together. Moved back off the edge of the pool to try and eliminate any mishaps

Attachments

• 6AD5A362-6C0C-4785-9299-57222B6E542E.jpeg
    6AD5A362-6C0C-4785-9299-57222B6E542E.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 130
  • A133B41D-DE3B-484A-9295-5AAD19D84B3D.jpeg
    A133B41D-DE3B-484A-9295-5AAD19D84B3D.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: RS220
The large green pots are filled with some cheap Lowe’s annuals that have been sitting on my driveway withering but now seem ok, and a couple of leftover bulbs. My ex and I had these pots for maybe 15 years, I think they came from Costco. The smaller blue green planters on the wall came from my local garden center this weekend. They were not cheap, at all, but they had four of them and I was there. The plants are hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon) Honey Tip. No seeds, and double pink blossoms.

3E1C2D47-F358-436E-BB63-37DD8DC0F576.jpeg6E463C0E-E8C3-4930-ABA1-31A1DE61DA2B.jpeg61906812-D999-4E9A-B893-429860DC0933.jpeg

Last edited:
Got these from At Home last year. They are "concrete like" material but not as heavy (cost about as much!). Wife is still kinda iffy on the look but I kinda like the "weathered" look. We had large palm leaf type plants in the two end ones but they died off this past winter, so we just planted some baby sago palms a couple of months ago.
View attachment 143562
I love these! I hear we're getting one of those stores here, but the shutdown disrupted everything. These are exactly the style and shape I actually wanted. What's the green spindly fluffy stuff in the middle planters? I love how it looks.

I love these! I hear we're getting one of those stores here, but the shutdown disrupted everything. These are exactly the style and shape I actually wanted. What's the green spindly fluffy stuff in the middle planters? I love how it looks.
I have to ask the wife what they are called, but they are really hardy and lasted the winter (Texas winter). I would say they have doubled in size since spring 2019. Her goal is to block the view pool equipment behind it entirely.

Reactions: chazas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A quick tip...
Strategically placed planters are perfect places to hide solar spot or flood lights to illuminate or highlight specific areas around the pool that may not be covered with existing lighting.

Reactions: RS220
I have to ask the wife what they are called, but they are really hardy and lasted the winter (Texas winter). I would say they have doubled in size since spring 2019. Her goal is to block the view pool equipment behind it entirely.

Those green plants are called fox tail ferns, and do great in planters.. or if you’re my 5 year old daughter they are known as “troll hair bushes”...

• Haha
Reactions: Cephrael
I really would like to put a couple of planters around my plain jane pool, but Im so worried about them tipping or blowing over and making a humongous mess. Im still looking for a couple of planters that are more like boxes than pots, since they would be sturdier, I would think, with less chance to tip over. Great ideas here.

I keep the plants back from the pool about 3 feet. There is little chance of them falling in. They do drop leaves and flowers in, a bit. But not too bad. In Houston, my plants need daily water and I'll be installing an automatic watering system shortly.

20200624_191226.jpg
far end.jpg
20200711_152114.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.