Poolside Planters - show them off!

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
So I scored these large planters at Costco for $15 this weekend, and am trying to figure out what to put in them. I'm not really drawn to the tropical vibe, I was thinking maybe some dichondra and ornamental grass, but I'm just not sure. I've looked all over the internet, but I'd rather see things real people are having success with, you know? I'm tired of perfect Pinterest pictures.

Anyone want to show off your poolside planters or have any advice? Leaning more towards greenery rather than flowers. These are full sun all day, zone 9.

IMG_20200511_075247.jpg

ETA: Please list the kind of plants in your planters if you know!

Last edited:
Reactions: mommark
I worry about planters being placed on the edge of the pool where they can be knocked into the water and make a big mess. I don’t allow that.

The planters are my wife’s department and they are just getting setup for the season. We had freezing temperatures at night last week so everything has not gone out yet.

Reactions: LoneWolfArcher
Mine aren't setup either yet (same crappy weather, but finally breaking today!), but these might look great!

-Coleus (so many awesome varieties)
1589458983340.png
-maybe a Canna in the middle for height (or spikes grass)
-Potato vine to drape down
1589459053597.png
-Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' is a very dainty white flower that you can sprinkle in. I have a flat of these that I am hoping to plant this weekend also.
1589459105809.png

Mission accomplished! Mixed container garden achievement unlocked ( +100 adulting )

View attachment 139526

View attachment 139527

Lemongrass (mosquito repellent), silver falls dichondra, and hypoestes.

We filled the bottom with bricks, these things aren't going anywhere unless is just trying really hard.
Wow they look great!! And nice picture taking also, magazine worthy!

Let me know how the lemon grass does. Do you have full sun? I've been wanting to try it also.

Full sun, and we're very hot and sunny here. I'll update on how they're doing, but just know if they fail it's just as likely that I'm the problem. I've had mixed success at actually keeping plants alive.

Here are mine entering into pool area. I also wanted to try Lemon Grass, I have two huge planters at end of pool I want to plant lemon grass in hoping that it does help with mosquitoes

Those look great! I love seeing what everyone else is doing. I'm very new at gardening and need the ideas. I think our Dynatrap is taking care of most of the mosquitoes, but nice smelling plants are always a bonus. I'm ripping out some scale infested euonymus from my other planters and replacing with rosemary because apparently rosemary can help keep bugs away too. Plus it also is delicious and useful for cooking and drinks.

Wow they look great!! And nice picture taking also, magazine worthy!

Thank you so much! Snapped them on my Google Pixel, all credit goes to the California sun for the lighting. My son was in the pool splashing around at the time at it unexpectedly gave the water some really nice movement. Magazines probably have less clutter and fewer trailers, but I'll happily take the compliment.

Reactions: KaiBee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mission accomplished! Mixed container garden achievement unlocked ( +100 adulting )

View attachment 139526

View attachment 139527

Lemongrass (mosquito repellent), silver falls dichondra, and hypoestes.

We filled the bottom with bricks, these things aren't going anywhere unless is just trying really hard.
Those look awesome!!! It would just freak me out that close to my pool.
Bery very cool planters and setup!

Reactions: RS220

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.