Poolside Bathroom cost?

Sep 26, 2016
Columbus/ GA
What's the approximate cost of adding a simple pool bathroom during pool construction? We are in the middle of construction and this is an after thought. However, we are planning on a outdoor kitchen and I thought we could have a wall and a small bathroom with cold shower on the other side of the kitchen.

Anywhere from $1500 to $20,000. Construction costs vary so much around the country and the costs of this project are very site dependent.

Its all dependent on where the sewer runs are. Are you having a sink with a sewer connection?

Tie in to sewer/septic is likely your biggest what if. I built an outdoor bathroom with hot water shower, sink and toilet on the cheap. Under 1000 bucks with stuff we had sitting around. It had water nearby and tie in to septic was only 10 or 15 feet away. There are pics in the link in my sig.

I'm not sure if Danny's outdoor bathroom ( page 6 of his build thread) complies with the Pirate's Code, let alone the building code, but it does what he needs it to do and frankly looks great.

Its also a good example of how site dependent these projects are. A toilet near his pool would be below the sewer system in the house requiring a pump. Not enormously expensive but it shows the kinds of costs that tend to add up.

We looked into this ourselves and pooldv is right about the most expense involved. Estimates for us were 12-15K. For us, the main concern was the kids having to potty and going thru the house wet. Fortunately our master bath wall is right by the back patio, so we added an external door into the bathroom. Much less cost and meets our needs. Also quick acces to a late night dip in the spa!

You guys are fortunate. To add a bath to my pool house keeps turning up as a major project because we'd a)have to pump uphill b) run a sewer line beside a French drain on the west side of pool (kinda inviting disaster in terms of both aging infrastructure and storm water mgmt ;) and still rip out a 8" thick concrete slab under studio then deck and pool house to get water over to it.

Which is why it has to date not happened ;)

We even looked at propane toilets at one point, until we found out that their exhaust smells not unlike a crack house.

So we put down rough-surfaced slate flooring from back door through bath, hallway and kitchen and now its safe (no slipping) and generally impervious to water.

We may eventually do a bath in pool house, but it will have to be when we feel prepared to rip up and replace pool surround and deck.

You guys are fortunate. To add a bath to my pool house keeps turning up as a major project because we'd a)have to pump uphill b) run a sewer line beside a French drain on the west side of pool (kinda inviting disaster in terms of both aging infrastructure and storm water mgmt ;) and still rip out a 8" thick concrete slab under studio then deck and pool house to get water over to it.

Which is why it has to date not happened ;)

We even looked at propane toilets at one point, until we found out that their exhaust smells not unlike a crack house.

So we put down rough-surfaced slate flooring from back door through bath, hallway and kitchen and now its safe (no slipping) and generally impervious to water.

We may eventually do a bath in pool house, but it will have to be when we feel prepared to rip up and replace pool surround and deck.

Have you thought of this? Composting toilet - Wikipedia

^we looked at constructing one but the area of the pool house we'd use in also on cement pad and we dont have much room behind the ph for the compost box if we want to leave enough room for the firewood truck to get up the hill...so we just have a flushable camp toilet with enzymes and a pop up tent around it for backup if we have a large overnight gathering with lots of kids etc. The main bath is really close to the actual pool and the secondary is at the other end of the house where guests stay so its really only cases where we have extended family camping out in pool house or up the hill...and that's only a few times a year.

The reason we'd love a full bath in the pool house is because it has a 500 sf upstairs bedroom/apartment so if we had running water we could almost have a nurse/pool boy ;) live there when we're old and infirm ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just had couple quotes done for this and was quoted about 6k of T&M to run the drain (tie into the septic), run the water from the house and install an ejector pit/pump for the toilet. Quite hefty, but seeing some other quotes with 10-15k range, its actually looking much better. Regardless, I think I may be tackling this myself, as I have pretty good experience with plumbing work and my septic is only about 50ft away from where the pool house going to be so tying into it should not be too difficult. Running the water from the house is not an issue either.
My biggest issue and what I need to research and figure out will be how to properly setup an ejector pit. The septic will be a bit uphill, so it will need to grined/pumped and definitely done right.
Also, I'm thinking about doing the pit outside rather than inside.
Does anyone here have some good experience or advice with this they can share?

Thank you all so much for your comments. We are still getting quotes. We have had the deck around the pool poured, but now everything pretty much stopped... we can't move forward with the kitchen until we make a decision about the bathroom.... it's so frustrating! We started the first week of November and I have no idea when it will be finished.

Ours was costly, about 14k, but it is a nice one. We had to run a sewer line around the rear of the house, and install a bilge pump (or whatever its called). Our bathroom (or cabana, as some members say) has very nice tile in the interior, a water heater in the roof, and a shower head on the side.

Four important points:
(1) 3 of the 4 pool builders we contacted tried to discourage us from building it, for cost or practicality reasons
(2) The PB we went with had no problem with it at all
(3) Do we use it? Hardly ever
(4) Would we do it again? Heck ya! It is awesome to have a private backyard cabana/bathroom, if you can swing it. I leave it to your imagination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.