pools looks great, but my eyes hurt

Thanks all. I think I will get to a dr soon. And thanks pooldv, I didn't think an eyeglass dr was what I needed.

Caco, regarding that quote from chemgeek, I had actually come across that too. But somewhere in that thread he also talked about it being imprractible to maintain that high a level of TDS/Salt ppm in a pool. Plus, I really am not crazy about having the 3000ppm in it. I'm actually going to run another set of tests soon, but since I replaced a lot of water, I think my salt has dropped below the 3k mark, and I can't taste it nearly as much now...which pleases me.

You can use Alaway OTC eye drops for eye allergies. I also use Nasacort nose spray and that seems to help my eyes.
Allergies have been terrible this year so it may not be the pool, the water just might make the pollen stick more. Your dominant eye will want to stay shut and water in bright sun, that's normal.
Last year after the eye doc took a cotton seed pod off my eye I told him I was going to wear googles all the time...and we didn't have a pool that year....

You can use Alaway OTC eye drops for eye allergies. I also use Nasacort nose spray and that seems to help my eyes.
Allergies have been terrible this year so it may not be the pool, the water just might make the pollen stick more. Your dominant eye will want to stay shut and water in bright sun, that's normal.
Last year after the eye doc took a cotton seed pod off my eye I told him I was going to wear googles all the time...and we didn't have a pool that year....
Interesting. I didn't really want to use eye drops much as I've heard bad things about overusing clear eyes and such. But I haven't seen Alaway., they don't appear to have the same ingredients. And It very well could be allergies, as I've been suffering from those this year more than ever before. Maybe I'll pick some of those up and give them a try.

why not just wear goggles? I good pair is quite comfortable and you can see for days in a clean pool, which yours is!
I plan to get me some. I need to get out and do that. Obviously I'll be able to see much better with goggles on, which will be handy for inspecting the liner and such. But I don't really want to wear them all the time. In my experience, they are a pain...fogging all the time, and digging into the sides of your head. Besides that, I just heard everyone else talking about how their pools were so comfortable on their eyes, it made me wonder what was different with me/mine.

Find a swim shop and get a pair of "real" goggles. My son is on the HS swim team and it is night and day. They have all kinds and sizes and can help you find a pair that really fits.

That's probably a good idea. Honestly it's been a long time since I've worn goggles. My dad always had them around when I was growing up, he liked to swim laps. They were usually nice Speedo's, but not necessarily fit to my head. Like I said, it would be good to have some for other reasons, so I think I'll take this advise soon. It looks like the closes swim shop that isn't a pool supply store is a bit of a drive, so maybe this weekend if I have time after installing a safety fence around the pool.

Just reading through this for the first time now. I have the same problem and I got a pair of good googles and my problem was solved. We are not fish and our eyes are not meant to be under water for extended periods of time regardless of the pH and salinity of the water. Some people are more sensitive than others and you are at the sensitive end of the scale.

Just reading through this for the first time now. I have the same problem and I got a pair of good googles and my problem was solved. We are not fish and our eyes are not meant to be under water for extended periods of time regardless of the pH and salinity of the water. Some people are more sensitive than others and you are at the sensitive end of the scale.
Thanks! That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure if it was right since I seemed to be in the minority. Honestly, now that I'm not obsessing over it, it's not so bad. I do intend on getting some goggles soon, but I can tolerate the discomfort of swimming without them. So no big deal I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.