pools looks great, but my eyes hurt

It takes 24 hours or so for the salt to fully dissolve and mix in. Maybe the taste will fade some. Going over is fine, most saltwater pools are around 3500 ppm.

I had read other posts about putting salt in, and they also said the just dumped it in. I tried my salt in a bucket of water to see how well it dissolved, and it didn't dissolve all that well. So I poured my back in a bucket, filled up my skimmer sock, and hung it there. It wasn't that bad, and I swam in the pool as I did it.

My wife and I swam again 3 or 4 hours later and still tasted it a bit. I had thought I recalled hearing it took a while to fully dissolve, so I'll give it 24 hours or so and report back. My pump runs for a while overnight, so that'll help it mix more, and we'll be swimming a lot tomorrow.

Well the weather didn't really get as hot as I had hoped today, but i was able to swim a few times still. The water definitely feels better on my eyes and skin. It tastes different still. I'm not sure I'd say salty, but different for sure. But 24 hours didn't pass until around 7pm tonight, so maybe I'll see even less of a taste tomorrow.

Anyway, this has been an interesting experiment.

One thing I wonder, does this mean I have a saltwater pool now? I assume I only need to follow the chlorine cya chart for SWG if I actually had SWCG, right? I can't keep chemically treating my pool as non saltwater?

Cool. And I just read in another thread that it can take 24 to 48 hours to really get the salt mixed into the pool properly, and that you should run your pump full time to get it to mix up. I haven't been doing that, especially since much of today I had the plumbing of my pool cut into pieces while removing the Pool Frog the previous owner of my pool used to maintain the thing. I replaced it with a T fitted with a reducer and 1/2 thread for my Stenner pump injector.

Bet you a bottle of crown you thought about SWGs :wink:

I would say I thought about them, but only because I kept thinking "I don't really want a salt water pool, but here I am adding 5 bags of salt". :)

No need to run pump 24x7 because you aren't trying to get the salt mixed to turn on SWG.

Fair enough. I suspect it's pretty well mixed by now anyway, but I'll just let things run normally and see how it feels. Thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We added some salt to our chlorine pool recently! The difference was noticeable and the kids have started opening their eyes underwater with no complaints or irritation!

We just poured 3 bags straight in around the pool and I brushed while the kids swam until it all dissolved...took maybe 30 minutes?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I didn't want to get in the pool and crunch around on salt crystals, so I thought I needed to dissolved it all in a bucket before putting it in the pool. Quickly realized that was a PITA, so I opted to put in a big bag and dissolve in the pool. Next time, I'll definitely just toss it in and brush it around.

Your 12k gallon pool with 3 bags makes me wonder again if I overdid it with 6 bags in my 20k gallon pool. I still wish I had stopped a bag or two short and swam with it like that for a bit, but oh well. As it drops with water displacement I will keep an eye (pun intended) on it.

I hate to bring this back up, but I'm still having issues with my eyes hurting. I've now got 3000ppm salt, and 50ppm borates. All else is the same (though my CYA fell a bit during since I started this thread).

Anyway, everything seems perfect, but every time I swim my eyes get irritated from swimming underwater with them open. Sometimes just foggy vision, other times red eyes. It happens when I have 2ppm FC, or 7ppm. Skin is not dry, and I'm about ready to go see an eye doctor to see if it's just something with my eyes. I'm sure they will tell me it's normal with pools, but I'm so jealous of everyone else here who seems to never have this problem.

One other thing I wonder is if my water hose could be leaching something nasty into the pool when I fill it up. Most of my water came through it when I did a bunch of water replacement to lower my CYA. Heck, there could even be something in the tap water doing it. I sure wish I could find what it was though. This is kind of ruining my pool fun.

Yeah, that is a bummer.

I will say no to the hose, water isn't in there long enough to pick up anything. And the little amount that may have been sitting in the hose is miniscule compared to the pool volume.

It probably is at least partially due to eye sensitivity. Mine are also, I have tried many times over the years to wear contacts and absolutely cannot. My kids have no issue with it.

It isn't likely to be FC level either. You are far below any level that could exacerbate the problem.

So, let's work on it some more, I'm not out of ideas yet. Post a set of test results or two or three from the last month or so. Do you monitor your CSI? Post that too.

I appreciate the assistance and willingness to help tackle this problem that doesn't seem very easy to solve.

My numbers look good. I have been using the excel sheet another member put together to log pool test results and notes. The last time I did a full round of tests was 7/9, and I've had to pump out about 6 inches of water since then, and then add some back in via the hose. so some numbers (like salt, borates, ch) are probably lower, while others (TA) might be higher or the same now. But, results are:

4ppm FC
0ppm CC
pH 7.6
80ppm TA
190ppm CH
40ppm CYA
3000ppm Salt
45ppm Borates
Temp 88 F
CSI -.34

I didn't think the hose was likely. I figured most people use whatever garden hose they have around. But had to ask. Thanks for confirming. I'm still leaning towards my eyes.

My wife would love it if I wore glasses, and she has been wanting me to get my eyes checked for years just on the chance that I may need them. I'm honestly starting to wonder if I do. Perhaps eye strain all day is leading to eyes that are sensitive and thus get beaten up in the pool. I stare at a computer all day, and most of my family does wear glasses, so it's possible, even though I don't feel like my vision is bad. A Dr would be able to tell me for sure I assume.

I'm out of ideas too. Which is why I'm thinking about calling an eye doctor of some kind. Today my wife's friend brought her kid over, and I got my first "your pool feels really nice, I didn't even notice any chlorine" compliment. They both spent more time in the pool more than me today, and I talked to my wife afterwords to make sure she hadn't told her friend to say that or something. She told me she thinks it's me, that the only time she's had eye problems in the pool is when she forgets to take her eye makeup off.

Regarding the sun, I am the same way. When I first wake up and go outside on a sunny day, if I don't have sunglasses on, I quickly turn into a red eyed teary mess. And I'm not a lot better the rest of the day. I keep sunglasses with me almost all day. So that kind of helps me think that my eyes are just sensitive or perhaps have another problem.

I had read on a thread somewhere in this forum that another user had skin/eye irritation with a certain brand of chlorine (the walmart 10% stuff) and I was using that. So I switched to clorox 8.3% for the last week to see if I noticed any difference, and I didn't. So I think I'm done chasing this as a problem with my pool. It must be me and my eyes. I'll chime back in and let you all know if I get to the dr and find out something was wrong with my eyes.

It sounds to me like you are photosensitive, with reacting to sunlight like that. It could be the reflected light from the surface of the pool is at a wavelength that sets off your photosensitivity. While some people are 'just like that' some of the time it is related to an underlying medical cause. I know for example when my excema flares up I am less tolerant to light, also happens when my prescription needs to change for my eyesight

I second your wife in this, get your eyes checked by an optometrist so that you can rule out anything medical

Also this quote from Chemgeek (from this post http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/23605-what-does-High-Low-Ph-do-to-your-skin#p201316) was interesting, maybe you need more salt if your optometrist gives you the all clear
The primary factor for irritation appeared to be osmotic pressure since adding salt to the water at around 0.5% (around 5000 ppm) in the field study or 0.7% (around 7000 ppm) in the lab study virtually eliminated the irritation which isn't much of a surprise since the salinity of human tears is around 9000 ppm.

Last edited:
I can see how eye makeup could get in your eyes in a pool. If going to an eye doc choose an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist. Ophthalmologists are "real" eyeball doctors vs optometrists being vision/glasses doctors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.