pooldv texas pool thread

Re: pooldv pool thread

Did any one notice he is cheating???? He is using a REAL, grown up level...........I think a stick from one of the trees would work better.

I am sorry to hear there has been trips to the store already done and at least one more planned but we all KNOW that is how it is! Is there anyone that got all of the items needed on the first trip??

Will you keep the solar to topping off or helping out?

:kim:

Yes, we're going to set solar at 90 and the heat pump at 85. Water will go through solar first and then the heat pump. Hopefully, the solar will get most of the work done and the heat pump will top it off. The heat pump has an internal clock that we can set to be off at night so the heat pump isn't heating the water at night when solar isn't heating.

How many sq ft of panel and pool surface do you have? I know you said it's not enough in an earlier post, but that it does help recovery from cold fronts.

We ran 3" supply and return lines for a solar upgrade in the future, but your heat pump deal is making me consider that as an option too. Our swim season here in Houston looks to be a similar timeframe to yours from late May into October.

I don't have enough roof space in the area I am willing to put panels to break the recommended ratio. I think I am just right around 50% of pool surface area on a South facing gentle slope of our patio roof. Really though I also don't want bathwater in December - February either because it's just too cold outside to hang out in the water anyway. I'd just be happy to keep 80* water into early November and then pick it up again in March or April, so I'd get an extra 45 days added to each end of the season. Water is 80* right now for reference.

I'm very interested to see your heatpump results. Keep posting!!!

plat.

We have 240sf of solar panels and about 700 sf of pool surface, 20k gal. Pool only gets full sun for less than 2 hours per day. The rest of the time it has partial shade. Our pool is 81 with solar running and the solar cover on all week. High temps in upper 70s low in mid-50s for the last week plus.

The panels are under a tree but they get sun nearly all day due to some strategic pruning. They are partially shaded from around noon to two.

Chainsaw and a stump-grinder will take care of those trees lickety-split....

Ok, heat pump fans, it is done. That was a pain in the ear. Lots of cutting, measuring and head scratching. And then lots of gluing. No leaks except the union on the IC40. Weird. It is going to run all night to keep the pool warm for the boss tomorrow. It was 81 at 8ish.

CAM00180.jpg

CAM00177.jpg

CAM00179.jpg

And it was only 2 extra trips to the store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hmmmm...IC40 at a 45deg angle :suspect:

See, a little guilt, shame and mocking go a long way....however, I know Brian will be disappointed as there are no foot-shots.

I like the bypass line... Good call.

How about a shot of your beautiful feet perched atop the solar lines that have yet to find their way into the ground?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you use the booster pump for?

I like the bypass line... Good call.

Can we do something with the solar lines though???? Better yet, how about a shot of your beautiful feet perched atop?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you use the booster pump for?

Yeah, that bypass was a bit of a pain to figure out and not a lot of room to do it. But, it'll be good to have. Why you hatin on my solar lines? The best way to get from point A to point B is a crooked line! :)

Booster pump was for a pressure cleaner no longer being used.

Last night the water temp according to the Solartouch was 81 and according to the heat pump it was 80. Solar cover is on. The air temp right now is 55 and the water temp on both is 81. So, what that means is that the heat pump added 3 or 4 degrees to the pool overnight. My typical overnight loss with the cover on has been 3-4 degrees this week. My calculation says that the heat pump should increase the pool temp 1 degree every 3.7 hours or so. Which lines up with 3ish degrees in 12ish hours. High temp yesterday was 76, but solar didn't run because I was installing heat pump so everything was off all day.

Yes, it actually ended up being several things! As usual! I was just lucky enough to get them all in one trip.

The maximum cost per hour is $0.27, so $3.25 for 12 hours.

I'm not sure how the heat pump cycles or how many amps it actually uses during normal cycle. The max amperage draw is 12 amps but I doubt it draws max and I doubt it runs full blast the whole time. I need to get out there and do some tinkering with flow rates and timers and figure it out. I also expect that next week with sunny and mid 80s that solar will do most of the work, maybe even all. Solar panels and the solar cover have no trouble keeping the water temp a few degrees above the high temp most of the time. Like last week with highs 76 to 78 the pool was 80-81. This is the perfect scenario when we need a heat pump because we usually won't swim at 80-81 unless we are hot but we will swim at 84-85.

Today was a good pool day. Low wind, sunny and high temp was 80. We stayed in the pool all afternoon. 85 when got in and 86 when we got out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.