pooldv texas pool thread

Re: pooldv pool thread

That's loovely. Additionally, looking at your pool setting just now I realized why it always had such an attraction for me. It reminds me of a place I was about 25 years ago. Yankari Game Reserve in Nigeria. They had a gorgeous tropical valley area with a warm spring which you could swim in and river that looks so much like yours. Here is a link to a picture I just found which confirms my memory of it and how similar they appear. Memories are awesome things. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankari_National_Park

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would love to have a bathroom near the pool, but it's too expensive to do it.

You have a lovely place, truly beautiful. I love all the different levels. You're another one who does so much on your own. Such a gift!

Bmore's photo from Nigeria could be a different view of yours!

I've been holding out for a great robot for a long time. My Pentair Legend pressure cleaner did an OK job the first few years. But, admittedly, we have LOT of trees and asked a lot of it. It started acting up, getting stuck a lot, falling over, going in circles, etc. I messed with it some and it got better but not for long. Then one day last fall it annoyed me one time too many and got some algae inside it so it got tossed into the yard. Then it got hailed on this spring. Poor fella! So, I went all fall, winter, spring and summer with no pool cleanere. I brushed weekly most weeks and definitely every two weeks and scooped leaves regularly as usual. It went OK with no cleaner. More work but less annoyance fiddling with the cleaner.

So, I've been reading all the robot threads with interest. But not wanting to spend 800, 1000 or more bucks on a cleaner. And I wanted an easy to clean top load large basket and it had to brush my pool for me cuz I'm busy and a little lazy, especially when it is pool time. Then along came the Doheny Discovery, basically the same as the Maytronics S200. And it went on sale for 650 bucks. Sold!

I've had it for a week or so. I have mostly run it every other day on its 2 hour cycle. I love it. The pool is visibly cleaner. The basket is very easy to clean, it really takes less than 30 seconds to hose it out even when it is jammed full of junk. Today it did a great job of cleaning up after some storms and a cold front blew through and dumped a bunch of leaves and tree junk on the solar cover which was then dumped in the pool. I really thought I would need to run two cycles to clean the pool. Nope, all clean after one cycle.

His name is Gilligan. It is very handy not to be the only pool boy around here! :thumleft:

More here, Doheny's Discovery Powered by Dolphin? and here, First Robotic Cleaner, Doheny's Discovery

Nice post!

I hear you, my KreepyKrauly hasn't performed up to par for well over a season now. I recently replaced the bottom seal flaps on it but it's just not doing it for me anymore. There's a robot in my near future, I'm just not sure if I want to go whole-hog on the mega-Dolphin cleaner with all the bells and whistles or aim a little lower...gotta convince the CFO that the pool boy needs a new toy....

I'd really love to test drive one of those battery operated Dolphin Liberty models to see if it will work in my pool, but it wouldn't be so bad to run a corded model.

Thanks. Oh yeah, the cord. It takes a little bit of cord management to keep the cord neat. But, it is a nice lightweight cord that mostly floats and has a pretty good memory for rolling it back up. It is easier to manage the cord then your average heavy duty extension cord. There is no swivel and I could see it getting a bit tangled if you leave it in for a week to run daily. Which, by the way, it has the capability to run daily for a week.

This little fella brings up an interesting question. Brushing the pool. Clearly Gilligan brushes the pool, with his flappy rubber rotating brushes. Not being a big fan of brushing myself, I too am keen to absolve myself of that responsibility. First question is what does brushing really do? My FC is always appropriate. Does there need to be agitation of the surface to ensure it stays clean in the absence of algae? I'm certain there are plaster surfaces on my pool that don't get touched very well with my brush, around the lights, in the corners, parts of the steps, around the raised main drain covers, etc. Though after 4 years, I see/feel no difference between brushed and essentially unbrushed surfaces. Logically I can see a benefit of having bristles hitting the surface perhaps to touch the recessed parts of a plaster surface (which Gilligan wouldn't be doing) and provide some agitation, but I just don't know that I get the real world need. I'm thinking I'd be quite happy to delegate that task to my own Gilligan and be willing to call it good enough.

I installed a pressure side cleaner (with booster no less) when we built because I didn't research that aspect as much as other details. AND, Vaccy won't go up our steep slope from the deep end to the shallow end regardless of adjustment - so at his own insistence, he only has to clean maybe half of the pool (I think he may be in cahoots with my kids). I have to brush the other dust/debris to him - which he then happily and proficiently sucks up (sad huh?). Mind you the debris is limited in our particular pool siting.

Just some musings.

There's no real substitute for brushing, especially with all the nooks and crannies of many plaster surfaces. In a vinyl lined pool, it would be more feasible to get away with very seldom manually brushing since the flappy rubber would be sufficient to get most every part of the pool surface, save perhaps joints around skimmers, returns, steps, ladders, sharper inside corners, etc. I have flirted with danger by not brushing my pool for a couple weeks, but running the robot every 3 days or so. The advantage and necessity of brushing at least weekly (in addition to robot/cleaner usage) is that you know the entire pool surface has been scrubbed at once, not relying on a robot to hit 90% one day maybe missing a few spots for a whole week or two until they've been physically touched.

Brushing not only stirs up the water in poorly circulated areas but more importantly removes the biofilms that form on the surface of the plaster. These films can allow algae to grow in spite of adequate chlorine levels.

Believe me, I hate brushing and I have a reef step that's around 400 sq feet that is too shallow for the robot to traverse. I had a couple spots of algae in a few spots in that area earlier this year. It didn't take much to get rid of it (took FC to slam level for three days) but it sure did open my eyes on my lack of brushing.

I maintained a FC level of 10%/CYA and have never fallen below the min, in fact probably never fallen below the target level for a SWG pool. I guess we all need to brush more often (your teeth included).

I fully agree with the need to brush and our pebblesheen certainly has plenty of nooks and crannies. Last summer I was a total brush slacker and got some algae spots myself. I stay at 10% of CYA also for the most part. Rarely lower and often higher. So, I brushed weekly-ish and it was better. So, now we can see if robot brushing a few times a week will equal me brushing weekly-ish. The robot will do a great job of stirring up water in poor circulation areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.