Pool Year of Algae

Jtwitt

Apr 29, 2017
Mishawaka/ IN
Moved from here

I am a 2nd year pool owner. Year 1 went almost seemless, but this year we have had a season, it seems like, full of algae issue. Any idea why or thoughts ? (Things that changed this year, got a robot vacuum, added a heater, and switch to new variable speed pulp over old single speed pump).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is no fun! What test kit do you use? How do you chlorinate? Did you use the SLAM Process process when your test results showed you had issues?

OK. What test kit do you use to test your pool water chemistry?

I assume you followed the SLAM Process process?

Daily use of solid chlorine (trichlor) is not sustainable. How did your test results match up with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] during the year?

- - - Updated - - -

Please post up a full set of test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

I slammed at the beginning of year as pool was neon (last year was no issue). And I have an automatic chlorinator that I usually leave at 3 but recently turnit up to 5 because of algae.

As you already know, exclusive use of tablets will push your CYA upward, requiring you to raise FC to keep the pool sanitary.

Did you purchase a recommended FAS/DPD test kit last year?

What is your daily FC target, and current CYA?

Use of chlorine tabs/pucks

to be honest, I was probably spoiled last year with everything working out. Getting the robot vacuum this year caused me to not give as much attention, plus our girls didn't swim as much. I use the cheap/ standard teat strips.

Fc 0
pH 6.4
TA 40
TH 200
CYA 50

to be honest, I was probably spoiled last year with everything working out. Getting the robot vacuum this year caused me to not give as much attention, plus our girls didn't swim as much. I use the cheap/ standard teat strips.

Fc 0
pH 6.4
TA 40
TH 200
CYA 50

Those test strips are useless. I doubt a pool with a steady diet of Trichlor only has 50ppm of CYA.

If those test results can be trusted, you have two major issues, zero FC and a very low pH & TA. 6.4 is most likely the bottom of the pH test, and the actual could be much lower.

If you have a copper heat exchanger in your heater, sustained low pH will destroy it.

It would be in your best interests to get a proper FAS/DPD test kit. In the mean time, you should get a basic pool drop based kit to verify pH and FC.

Test Strips simply do not provide the accuracy and consistency you need. Because of this we do not make chemical recommendations based on them.

This forum advocate’s pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF100 test kit. It is properly sized for the residential pool owner.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

While you are waiting on your test kit add liquid chlorine/bleach to put 5 ppm FC into your pool each evening.

Let us know when you get your test kit and post up the results.

also,I worry about proper circulation. I have 2 jets on 1 side of rectangle pool and skimmer on opposite side. Then I got a variable speed pump this year, vs a single speed pump last year. I wonder if the program speeds it recommended are off as the majority of the day it runs at low speed. ???

- - - Updated - - -

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thanks

also,I worry about proper circulation. I have 2 jets on 1 side of rectangle pool and skimmer on opposite side. Then I got a variable speed pump this year, vs a single speed pump last year. I wonder if the program speeds it recommended are off as the majority of the day it runs at low speed. ???

Circulation is not your primary issue. Once you obtain the proper testing equipment and bring you pool back to being clean and sanitary a discussion can be had on circulation.

Dom caught the pH. If even close - you are destroying or have destroyed your heater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Circulation can be supplemented with proper brushing, but as already mentioned, circulation is not the issue right now.

You need to focus on FC and pH right now, and we are going to need proper test results to get you back to a TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.