Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use of chlorine tabs/pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Use of chlorine tabs/pucks

I am also a newbie, and my pool 20x38 uses the tablets. I just opened it 2 days ago, took my water in to be tested and one of the items they sold was a new bucket of tablets, but everything I read here says tablets are bad. ???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use of chlorine tabs/pucks

Welcome to the forum. The pucks "can" be bad. They raise your CYA level to where you can't maintain enough chlorine to overcome any algae problems you may develop. Please consider one of the two "drop based" test kits we recommend in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jtwitt View Post
    I am also a newbie, and my pool 20x38 uses the tablets. I just opened it 2 days ago, took my water in to be tested and one of the items they sold was a new bucket of tablets, but everything I read here says tablets are bad. ???
    Welcome!

Tablets are great if you need chlorine AND CYA AND battle with high TA and pH rise. If you don't need more CYA, then they're a terrible idea. Likewise, how much convenience did you gain if now you're messing around with borax and baking soda trying to counteract the pucks? If what I just wrote is so much gibberish, check out Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Might as well take a look at all the articles here except the SWG one. Pool School - Pool Chemistry

Lots of us use pucks when we're leaving town for a few days or the CYA has dropped a little. The good news for you is that they'll keep for years as long as you close up the bucket good and tight.

Keep on reading here. It shouldn't take long for you to find threads where someone else has been pool-stored far worse than you. Eventually, I hope you come over to our way of thinking and get your own proper test kit and stay out of the store except for obscure pieces of hardware or toys.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, welcome to TFP! Its not so much that tablets are bad, but overindulging in tablet use can lead to an over-stabilized pool which requires draining and refilling to correct. It is important that you monitor the stabilizer level if you use any form of stabilized chlorine such as trichlor or dichlor. For most pools you will want to keep that level between 30-50ppm. We recommend the use of an FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or a TF100 to test the water on a regular basis. For more information on pool chemistry read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds I should just return this $99 bucket of tabl3us, and stick with chlorine?

6. Back To Top    #6

It sounds I should just return this $99 bucket of tabl3us, and stick with chlorine?
    If you haven't broken the seal and they'll return them, yes. If they offer store credit, buy some stabiliser (CYA) with it
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Some pools seem to lose all CYA during the winter, maybe due to lack of maintenance, not sure, but the pucks are good to have around if you are out of town and/or need CYA. I would just keep them.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

8. Back To Top    #8

FYI--lack of maintenance has zero to do with CYA loss over winter in some pools. Our thinking is there is some bacteria that converts this to ammonia. 100 bucks worth of pucks is a LOT to keep on hand for just occassional summer use-------not that they'll go bad if you keep them dry. Return them if you have more pressing needs for that 100.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Tablets/ pucks vs chlorine

Everything I read here is against using the tablets and everything just uses straight liquid chlorine. Is this best? If so, how much should I use daily? Also, since I am new I took my water in to get tested and here is what they have me/ I got: 3 applications of balance pak 100 for low alkalinity (0), 1 application of lo n' ski for high ph (7), and finally 5 bags of burn out 35 foe low free chlorin3 (0.4). Insight?

10. Back To Top    #10

I thought that lack of maintenance may be a factor in losing CYA in winter because of this post, warning it is technical

https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ric-Acid-(CYA)
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

11. Back To Top    #11

I do know that all my CYA disappeared this winter, and so did my coworker's, and he has a salt water system. So maybe TX is hard on CYA in the winter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Everything I read here is against using the tablets and everything just uses straight liquid chlorine. Is this best? If so, how much should I use daily? Also, since I am new I took my water in to get tested and here is what they have me/ I got: 3 applications of balance pak 100 for low alkalinity (0), 1 application of lo n' ski for high ph (7), and finally 5 bags of burn out 35 foe low free chlorin3 (0.4). Insight?
    Wow, you got pool stored! If you haven't opened all those things you can try to return them and get your money back and follow TFP advice.