selms502

May 29, 2022
Gulf Coast
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I just purchased a K-2006C Taylor test kit so I can get a more accurate idea of what’s going on in my pool.

I’d like to post my results here and get some guidance on how to best manage my water.

What would y’all recommend me testing for and posting?

Welcome to the forum :wave:
We'll all help.

Report your results so they look like this

FC - This will be the chlorine test you do with the powder
CC - This is a continuation of the chlorine test above
pH - It's the plastic comparator block where you eye match the colors
TA - Uses R-0007, R-0008 and R-0009
CH - uses R-0010. R-0011L, and R-0012
CYA - Uses R-0013

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Oly
Welcome to TFP! :wave: As Dave noted, posting directly into a threads works very well. If you are using our PoolMath APP (which I highly recommend), it has a settings feature that allows you to link PoolMath APP test results to your TFP profile. Once done, we can hover over your profile avatar and see your Poolmath Logs. You should be able to see what I mean by hovering over my profile avatar to see mine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Here are videos of the tests:

Do one test at a time. Do not rush. The first couple of times could take about 20 or mins. It WILL get faster as you get used to doing the tests.

Some common concerns with the tests:
-FC-once you get the water to clear call it! If it sits for a bit it may get a pink tint to it. Ignore it.
-pH-hold it in front of something white (I use a white plate) and have good lighting to help you match the colors.
-CYA-(oh how I do not like this test :roll:) do not LOOK for the googly eye. Pour to the first line, GLANCE in then look away. If you see the google eye pour to the next line. Glance in, look way. Keep doing this until you do not see the googly eye when you GLANCE in. We don't do 55 or 65. We call 55 60 and 65 70 as it is better to go a bit higher to make sure you use enough chlorine.

-TA-what you are looking for is a color change that HOLDS the color change. It may "flash" then go back. Keep going until it holds the color change. Red is really reddish.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Mdragger88
I can’t thank all of you enough for the help!

Take a look below and let me know what y’all think. I’m on the coast in Alabama so we are hitting 90 and the pool water was 87 today.

FC - took 12 drops 12 x .2 = 2.4ppm
CC - Added 5 drops to free chlorine test and water stayed clear
pH - 8
TA - 17 drop made it pink/red (170 ppm)
CH - 23 drops made it blue
CYA - Filled the small tube to 30 and can still see a bit of the black dot but only a hair

I have been using a cheap tester from ace hardware for PH and TA. The cheaper test I’ve been using was the same result for PH but the TA was nearly half. I’m assuming the Taylor is a much more reliable kit.

For FC you can use a 10ml sample, and one heaping scoop of powder. Each drop is 0.5ppm. That’s precise enough for us. :)

How does your pool look?

TA - 17 drop made it pink/red (170 ppm)
CH - 23 drops made it blue
Maybe I'm reading into this, but for these two tests, continue with drops until there is no color change. Don't count the last drop that resulted in no color change.

Take note of the following excerpt from the Extended Test Kit Directions:
  • Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool looks good and clear to me; however, my wife claims it’s a tad hazy.

So it’s probably a tad hazy 😁
Well the first thing you should do if your numbers are in line is an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Bring your FC up to 7-10 after sunset, test it to verify what you brought it up to, then test again before sunrise. That will tell you if you have any algae in the water.

Ok. What is the sweet spot for everything I tested earlier?

I guess I could super chlorinate one day for a 6 hours and then test it to see what it moves it up to.

I guess I could super chlorinate one day for a 6 hours and then test it to see what it moves it up to.
The idea is to see if anything in your water is using FC, so you would elevate your FC, then turn off the SWG and let the pool just mix overnight and test it before the sun is on it.

Your numbers are fine, though you could stand to lower your pH down to mid-7s. FC is a bit low too.

The idea is to see if anything in your water is using FC, so you would elevate your FC, then turn off the SWG and let the pool just mix overnight and test it before the sun is on it.

Your numbers are fine, though you could stand to lower your pH down to mid-7s. FC is a bit low too.
Would dirt and trash in filters etc pull FC as well?

Run this tool and print out the results. Keep it with your test kit!

You will be master of your pool!

I agree @kimkats …everyone has been super helpful!

I’m going to try and attempt the overnight chlorine test tonight. For those of you with the experience, how long would you suggest me running my SWG in super chlorinate to get it close (7-10)?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.