Pool Water Temperature?

anything above 78 for us is comfortable. If its 78, it just takes a little while to get used to it. High 80s is actually too warm for me. I want to get in the pool to cool off, not to get hotter...lol

So our ideal is about 83-84. Its only been that warm about 3 days this summer. We've only had the pool for about a month and have been in it about 8 times...Its been in the low 70s here for the past week or 2 it seems like with lows in the lower 50s.

If it's less than 80, I don't even go in. The 2 and 4 year olds shiver and turn blue. I heat to 85-86 on a weekend if I know I'll use the pool. With the heater off, I lost 5 degrees in one night (85 sunday, 80 monday morning). No solar blanket due to the small kids and a dog that would think it's solid. I'll turn the heater back on Friday. Our pool only gets morning sun, so it's chilly in the shade.

We are north of Dallas and have been having weird weather as well, extremely hot for a week or so then rain, cloudy and a cool front move in. Pool was up to 94 now sitting at 76 - gets full sun when it's out! Anything below 85 is too cool for me but the son-in-law has no problem, he was in it when it was below 70!!!

84 is typically my cutoff for getting in, but we really wanted to swim this weekend so we endured the 81-82 temp caused by the freakish cold front that just came through. It sucked getting in but we got used to it after a bit. I prefer 86-88.

In Texas here...this is our first year for the pool and I have been in at a variety of temps. I really perfer it to be 84 or above but can swim in 80 comfortably. Anything below 85 doesn't feel good when you first get it. You have to acclimate and adjust and then its fine. But when the temp is 85 or above...it just feels great stepping into the water! Went for a swim today, well ok...I do not really swim a lot but I hang out in the pool and get some stretching that is much needed...but today the temp was 81-ish and getting in the pool was very cold. 5 minutes after bieng in, it was fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
78 is the absolute low for me. It's chilly but doable once you get in. Below that, my kids will get in but I won't.

86 is stinkin hot! 82-84 is about perfect. 85 starts to feel a bit too warm and 86 is definitely too warm.

We haven't been in the pool since about the 2nd week of June. I haven't seen water temp above 75 since then. We haven't had a single day of 90° weather. We've barely been into the low 80's. Most of the summer it has been mid to high 70's. The electric bill is nice not running the AC, but using the pool isn't so great. It rains every afternoon anyways.

78 is the absolute low for me. It's chilly but doable once you get in. Below that, my kids will get in but I won't.

86 is stinkin hot! 82-84 is about perfect. 85 starts to feel a bit too warm and 86 is definitely too warm.

We haven't been in the pool since about the 2nd week of June. I haven't seen water temp above 75 since then. We haven't had a single day of 90° weather. We've barely been into the low 80's. Most of the summer it has been mid to high 70's. The electric bill is nice not running the AC, but using the pool isn't so great. It rains every afternoon anyways.

I agree. I was really hopeful mine would get clise to 80 today, as the water was 76 yesterday and warm outside. No such luck. When I checked it at 1:00, the water temp was only 75, and its cloudy again. I got in yesterday to clean it, as we haven't been swimming for at least 2 weeks or more. Thank goodness the TFP is inexpensive, or I would really be depressed!

Sigh....pool temps....:( Early summer, I was averaging 86 which was ok. Then I got a couple of 90 degree days and realized I really like that. Since then it's been in the 80-82 range and that just seems chilly. I suppose if I was swimming in a Texas pool, 82 would feel great. In Ohio, not so much. LOL

I don't know what my water temp is. I dont need a thermometer. The water is either too cold or it ain't. It's pretty much that simple for me. I don't wade in like a wussy worrying about it. It's head first all the way.

;-)

If it is too chilly then heat it up. Very simple. Thanks to fracking, gas is cheap, at least in North America (Or gas is fracking cheap as they would say on Battlestar Glactica). (Europe may have an issue as they are dependent on Comrade Putin for their gas)

Life's too short to swim in cold water or drink cheap wine.

You don't want to got caught out by shrinkage. "Like a frightened turtle!"

I am in CT and we find 78 or above to be comfy. I am sure it is personal preference. The kids complain that it is cold at 76 and will not go in! We use a solar cover almost all the time which helps with water evaporation, chlorine levels (I seem to use less), holding the temp especially at night when temps are lower then the pool water. This year it has been cool so it has been tough to get it warmer then 82 and we are full sun 9am to 4pm! We have been hovering 76-80 this year. On the warmer days I take the cover off but it goes back on when we loose the sun in the afternoon.

No heater. We are going to try to extend our swimming season by using a pond pump, 200 ft of black hosing to run water through mounted to a black plywood on the deck in full sun. It is not installed yet. Friends use this system and add about 5 degrees to their water but don't get as much sun as we do. They can swim earlier and later in the season then us. So I think it is worth a try since we already owned a pond pump from our previous home with a pond. It'll be interesting to see if it makes a significant difference. Also interested to see how long it has to run, and added cost. It may or may not be worth it in the end....

We have solar panels and have had temps between 86 and 92 all summer. If there are a couple of gray days then it goes down to the mid 80's and if there is sun it easily goes up over 90. I like to swim laps but do it at night - not in the full sun. Our pool gets at least 10 hours of full sun and we keep a solar cover on it at night and take it off during the day as long as it is sunny. We swim in the day some days (I do have to work) and almost every night. The solar heaters are really worth it. You can always run the solar heaters at night if you want to cool it or just keep the solar cover off at night.

It was 86 today and usually stays between 84 to 88. the automatic pool cover keeps it from loosing heat at night and heats it up on a sunny day. I use my heater in May and September to early October and set it at 81, that is the only time the heater runs. Anything in the 80's works for me, my nephews jumped in when I opened it in early May when it was 58, they got out of the pool very quickly!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.