Pool water temperature sensor not working

prasadkm0204

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2015
Santa Clara,CA
Hi,

I think my pool watertemperature sensor stopped working sometime at the beginning of last winter. It is stuck at 55% for the last few months.
I know the air temperature sensor is on the top of the roof but I can't figure where the water temperature is being measured from. I have attached a few pics of my equipment if it helps.

Also, I see this alert message intermittently on my screen logic - 'Pool solar temp sensor'. Maybe the sensor needs replacing or is disconnected ?

Thanks,
Prasad

Attachments

• IMG_6813.jpeg
    IMG_6813.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6811.jpeg
    IMG_6811.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6808.jpeg
    IMG_6808.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6802.png
    IMG_6802.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 11
Prasad,

The air temp probe is hanging out the bottom of the EasyTouch panel (I can see it).. The solar should be on the of the roof and your water temp should be between the pump and the filter, or in your case, between the filter and heater..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Measure the resistance of the sensor using your multimeter and compare it to this chart.

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Prasad,

Or.. Just replace the solar temp sensor that the system says is bad...

Jim R.
Thanks. I will probably do this. Since the multimeter method is confusing to me :)

Should I replace the sensor on the roof in this case ? Maybe with something like this - Amazon.com
or this if I should replace with the pentair one ?

Should I replace the entire length all the way from the roof to the junction box ?

Noob question. How is the temperature measured since I do not see those sensors contacting the water at any point in the connections.

Thanks again for all the community over the years.

i made a trip to the roof and may have found the issue. in the attached pic the connection from the sensor is broken. maybe i could use a plier and connect it back. interestingly i noticed that the sensor was not attached the pipe. it was always like this but it got me to wonder how it was sending the solar temperature?

the connection show in the pic was below the pipe and that probably sensed the temperature from the solar black pipe ?

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpeg
    IMG_6824.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 5
Solar Temperature Sensor (P/N 522101)
Run a two-conductor cable between the sensor and the controller.

The maximum sensor cable length is 300 ft (90 m) from the controller enclosure.

To install the solar sensor:
1. Mount the sensor on a flat surface, with the same exposure to sun as the solar collectors (next to the collectors is recommended).

Do not let the sensor touch the panels.

WARNING: DO NOT DRILL HOLE AND CLAMP SENSOR INTO SOLAR PIPE.

For glazed panels, install the sensor between collector and glazing.

2 If necessary, splice a two-conductor extension wire to the sensor.

Run two-conductor cable between the sensor and the controller enclosure.

Use waterproof connectors to connect the sensor to the cable.

Use twisted pair 20 AWG outdoor rated sensor wiring and be sure the wire connections are protected from the environment.

Use shielded cable for long runs (300 ft. - 90 m) total wire length maximum) or runs near other electrical wiring.

Attachments

• SolarTouch_Solar_Controller_System_Installation_and_Users_Guide_English.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.