zzjams

Jul 4, 2016
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I don't know what to do. For days my pool is going green & my chemicals seem okay.
FC 8
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 35
I thought to SLAM it but my CC is 0 & I did the chlorine evaporation test at night to see if it's losing 1 ppm at night and it's not. Last week I added stabilizer to pull the CYA up from 10 & now it's 35. Added muratic acid a few days ago. It seems like the pool is not cleaning but pop ups seem to be blowing & we had the vacuume repaired. I will do another backwash. I just did one 2 weeks ago. Help.
c31c169b58513b81be222224395f2aaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would say to hold on the SLAM for a bit. I don't see anything in the pic to indicate algae but I do see what might be iron precipitation. Have you tested for iron? Do you fill from a well? Is this the first time this has happened?
Let's identify the source and then decide what to do about it.

I do not know how to test for iron. It is city water not well. No, this happens at least twice a year. We have a pecan orchard behind us & some of the leaves fall in the pool during autumn when they drop all their leaves, but I have been good at clearing them out. The other time it does this is in the spring when everything is pollenating.

Please post a set of current test results. Get your pool water tested for iron (although that will be an indicator.....not proof positive).

Have you been adding higher amounts of chlorine to your pool lately?

Do you have muriatic acid on hand?

I doubt the orchard is related in any way.

YOu can buy an iron test at SOME pool stores. You can also buy them at TFTestkits.net. If you get one, please test first the results of your fill water and report that.

How old are the test results in your first post?. Regardless, please retest your pH and report that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New test results today
FC 12
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 100
CYA 30
CH 350
We have added chlorine yesterday because we were going to SLAM. We backwashed yesterday so these test results are this with a little fill water added back to the pool. Then we added the Chlorine. The last test results posted above were taken yesterday (Saturday). I have not gotten the iron test kit yet. A bit surprised at the price & will it even give me correct results? Can I do something in the mean time?

I thinkThe problem with the iron test is it will not deliver good results if all the iron has precipitated. The reason for testing your fill water is the iron will still be in solution and you shoulod get an iron result. It is not common for iron to be from city water but that is still quite possible if you have old iron pipes.

You can do two things that will probably clear your pool.

1. buy a sequestrant and use as directed on the label.

2. Lower your pH down to 7.0 (no lower) and see if the pool doesn't clear up.

Okay. I will lower PH tomorrow. The thing that I think is funny about having iron is:
1. I use & have always used municipal water
2. I have not seen any staining
3. My pool water wants to go green but is a little cloudy not completly clear.
It's not getting worse but not it's also not getting better. I am baffled.

Your pool water does not look the least cloudy to me. Do you see signs of dead algae (greenish-grayish dust) on the pool floor?

Do you use any algaecides or chemistry that contains copper?

I don't believe I saw any dust & no I did not use algecide. I have just used chlorine & muratic acid. I also added a stabilizer to pull up the CYAS a few days ago. Could the stabilizer have copper? My husband thinks it's the "gold toe" socks we put the stabilizer in. Lol.

Most always, cloudy green (VERY cloudy) is algae but clear green is iron precipitating in your water. The lower pH or a sequestrant will bring it back into solution and your pool will be clear.

I have not tested yet today but the pool has not changed. It is cloudy because you can barely see the vacume. I will post results later.
89a5c894308d18f48259ebd496ec4285.jpg

I am a bit confused. Looking back at your old posts you had issues with high CYA (100+) but I have never seen any posting as to how you lowered it. Now you are reporting that you are adding CYA because it's low. Can you explain how it got low please.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.